Steve

Default This electric range install doesnt seem right???

I found why my newly installed range shorted out when I moved the power
cord.
2 very cheap components.

1. - the the connectors on the stove are held in place by a plastic clip.
very flimsy.

2.- the clamp the holds the cord is not properly fastened to the frame of
the stove. the clamp is tight on the wire but the clamp only has two metal
wings that keep it from falling out of the stove frame, it is not held
securly. You can wiggle the wires and clamp putting pressure on the cheap
plastic clamp holding the cord connectors.

One of the plastic catches broke and the wire moved and touched the metal
cover causing a short.
This had tripped the breaker.

I taped it up and have been using the stove until the repair guy comes out
saturday. I will remove all of my modifications and leave it broken like I
found it and let them make it right.

My question is, I dont think the cord clamp should be loose where it
connects to the frame and I intend on telling the service guy this. you
should be able to move the power around and the clamp should stay stationary
so the movement does not stress the connections.

Am I correct??

Thanks

Steve

Fred

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

The strain relief for your 50A cord should be all metal and should be
secured tightly to the junction box and you should be able to yank on the
electrical cord with some amount of force and not be able to pull out the
cord - hence "strain relief". By any chance if its a Frigidaire? My new
electrical range was missing the strain relieve and the factory didn't even
know what I was talking about and won't supply me with a replacement. They
directed me to Sears parts and have me pay for it!! I'm very hesitant to buy
anything from Electrolux such as Fridgidaire, Tappan, Poulan chainsaws,
etc. - all had problems.

RBM

You are correct that the thing is cheaply made,however the clamp is intended
to prevent to cord from pulling out, which it does. Personally, I hate those
clamps and routinely replace them with flat service connectors which work
much better and you don't need four hands to install them. But the range and
all of its cheap hardware do have a U.L. stamp of approval, so what do you
do!!!
"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

steve

the range is a GE

We will see what the service guy does??

Thanks

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

HerHusband

Steve,

I found why my newly installed range shorted out when I moved the
power cord. 2 very cheap components.

1. - the the connectors on the stove are held in place by a plastic
clip. very flimsy.

I'm not sure what you are describing with this one. Usually the wires
connect to a "bakelite" (basically plastic) terminal block. The wires have
ring terminals that get screwed down to the terminal block. The block
usually has tabs that stick up between each terminal to prevent wires from
touching each other. The terminal block is often just hanging from a metal
tab or something and can frequently move around fairly easy.

2.- the clamp the holds the cord is not properly fastened to the frame
of the stove. the clamp is tight on the wire but the clamp only has
two metal wings that keep it from falling out of the stove frame

That's a standard strain relief on most stoves and clothes dryers. I've
never been real crazy about them myself, but that seems to be the norm. The
cable can move side to side slightly, but the "wings" prevent it from being
pulled out.

I would personally like to see a stronger strain relief and a more rugged
terminal block, but I guess they'll use the cheapest item that gets the job
done. Stoves and Clothes dryers usually don't get moved much anyway.

Anthony