DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   cleaning water stain mark from granite countertop? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/95423-cleaning-water-stain-mark-granite-countertop.html)

[email protected] March 16th 05 11:01 PM

cleaning water stain mark from granite countertop?

Hi, I have a dark green granite countertop in the bathroom. one area
has developed a ring of some kind of deposit (whitish). I believe it
is water mark or caused by the hard deposits in the water. It is where
I put the cups.

How do I clean those out? It's not very severe but noticible. If I
wipe it with a damp cloth it disappears. but after the water dries it
appears again.

Thanks.

Ross Mac March 16th 05 11:10 PM

wrote in message
Hi, I have a dark green granite countertop in the bathroom. one area
has developed a ring of some kind of deposit (whitish). I believe it
is water mark or caused by the hard deposits in the water. It is where
I put the cups.

How do I clean those out? It's not very severe but noticible. If I
wipe it with a damp cloth it disappears. but after the water dries it
appears again.

Thanks.

In the past I have removed hard water marks with a product called KED
(properly mixed) but anything with phosphoric acid should get it done. Find
an out of the way place to do a test before going after the main
stain....good luck , Ross

AutoTracer March 17th 05 12:26 AM

Anything with acid which you would use to remove a hard water stain might
etch the granite. In fact what you described may in fact be an etched area.
If it is etched, you will need to polish or reseal the stone. If you can
scrape some off with your fingernail, it is a hard water stain. Not sure of
the best cleaner (soft soap and elbow greese) but acidic cleaners like lime
away might do far more damage than good.

There are non-acidic hard water cleaners. Read the labels and call the
product info hotlines if you want reassurance.

Ross Mac March 17th 05 12:58 AM

link.net...

"Ross Mac" wrote in message

wrote in message
Hi, I have a dark green granite countertop in the bathroom. one area
has developed a ring of some kind of deposit (whitish). I believe it
is water mark or caused by the hard deposits in the water. It is where
I put the cups.

How do I clean those out? It's not very severe but noticible. If I
wipe it with a damp cloth it disappears. but after the water dries it
appears again.

Thanks.

In the past I have removed hard water marks with a product called KED
(properly mixed) but anything with phosphoric acid should get it done.

Find
an out of the way place to do a test before going after the main
stain....good luck , Ross

Like I said....properly mixed....
If it's etched....that is certainly another situation....take care, Ross

Clark Griswold March 17th 05 02:46 AM

wrote in message
Hi, I have a dark green granite countertop in the bathroom. one area
has developed a ring of some kind of deposit (whitish). I believe it
is water mark or caused by the hard deposits in the water. It is where
I put the cups.

How do I clean those out? It's not very severe but noticible. If I
wipe it with a damp cloth it disappears. but after the water dries it
appears again.

Thanks.

Diamond paste will remove the stain. A bit expensive too. It's what the pros
use when their lapping granite surface plates for the manufacturing
industry.

Erik March 19th 05 05:19 AM

Tile setter here,
go to this web sight www.stonetechpro.com and check out the special
solutions section and look for the oil stain remover. "Stone Tech" is
a great product and worth the money. You can also find this product
line at a local Dal Tile store in your area.

Erik
Want to work from home?
http://urbiz.stayinhomeandlovinit.com