Fr@nk

Default Microwave under-light stopped working

I have a Sharp microwave (Model R1480) over-the-range model. Has the smooth
touchpad style membrane buttons on the control panel. Anyway, the button
that controls the Work Light (over the range top--it's mounted in the bottom
of the microwave) no longer works. At first I thought the light bulbs (two
of them) burnt out, but after replacing them, they still don't turn on. All
the wiring between the bulbs and the control panel appear intact. I guess
the button/switch in the control pad doesn't work. The strange thing is the
button for the exhaust fan, which is right next to the light buttons, does
still turn the fan on/off. Can a single control button go bad on these?

Anyone know if I can repair just this worklight switch/circuit (replace the
wires?), or will I probably have to replace the whole control panel (I've
seen it for ~$50 online--ouch)? At least if I do have to replace it, it
looks like it just pops in and out, and the connectors do the same. Any
advice on this is appreciated; thanks.

John Harlow

Anyone know if I can repair just this worklight switch/circuit
(replace the wires?), or will I probably have to replace the whole
control panel (I've seen it for ~$50 online--ouch)? At least if I do
have to replace it, it looks like it just pops in and out, and the
connectors do the same. Any advice on this is appreciated; thanks.

Does your microwave normally beep when any buttons are pressed? If so, and
the light is the only one which doesn't beep, you'll know it's the membrane
assembly.

My guess is the triac or whatever solid state switch - or maybe even
mechanical relay - is bad. Listen closely for a click inside the unit when
you press it. Could be it has a relay with carbon loaded contacts.

Appliance Repair Aid

Fr@nk wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Anyway, the button
that controls the Work Light (over the range top--it's mounted in the

bottom
of the microwave) no longer works.

*Might* be the key panal, but more likely something on the smart board
let go....relay, burnt trace, etc.

it
looks like it just pops in and out, and the connectors do the same.

The key panal is pinched between the plastic consol and the smart
board, the whole consol would likely have to come off to access it.
When ever working on a microwave the high voltage capacitor should be
discharged.

I found these with your model#...
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=958501
Touch pad

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=820993
Power control board

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=905159
Touch control pad

Jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.www.applianceaid.com/

Fr@nk

"John Harlow" wrote in message

Does your microwave normally beep when any buttons are pressed? If so,

and
the light is the only one which doesn't beep, you'll know it's the

membrane
assembly.

My guess is the triac or whatever solid state switch - or maybe even
mechanical relay - is bad. Listen closely for a click inside the unit

when
you press it. Could be it has a relay with carbon loaded contacts.

It does beep normally, and yes, the Light button still beeps...just no
light. So it's probably the solid state switch? Hmm. I'll have to take
another look to see what I can take apart. Thanks.

Fr@nk

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
oups.com...

*Might* be the key panal, but more likely something on the smart board
let go....relay, burnt trace, etc.

it
looks like it just pops in and out, and the connectors do the same.

The key panal is pinched between the plastic consol and the smart
board, the whole consol would likely have to come off to access it.
When ever working on a microwave the high voltage capacitor should be
discharged.

So it's like this?:

|o| | s |
|u| K | m |
|t | E | a |
|e| Y | r |
|r | | t |
| | P | |
|b| A | b |
|u | N | o |
|t | E | a |
|t | L | r |
|o| | d |
|n | | |
|s | | |

I can replace one, two, or all three of these separately? It's not just one
unit?

And how do I discharge the high voltage capacitor?

Thanks for the tip on parts.

I found these with your model#...
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=958501
Touch pad

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=820993
Power control board

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=905159
Touch control pad

Jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.www.applianceaid.com/

Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

So it's like this?:

|o| | s |
|u| K | m |
|t | E | a |
|e| Y | r |
|r | | t |
| | P | |
|b| A | b |
|u | N | o |
|t | E | a |
|t | L | r |
|o| | d |
|n | | |
|s | | |

Sort of...the key panal and outer buttons are the same parts, the key
panal is behind the plastic frame and the smart board and metal frame
are screwed to the plastic frame holding it all together.

I can replace one, two, or all three of these separately? It's not

just one
unit?

All one unit.

And how do I discharge the high voltage capacitor?

These should help...
Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated
handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of
the high voltage capacitor to discharge it. With the microwave
unplugged.

http://www.applianceaid.com/newimages/nuker101.JPG

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Fr@nk

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Sort of...the key panal and outer buttons are the same parts, the key
panal is behind the plastic frame and the smart board and metal frame
are screwed to the plastic frame holding it all together.

(Wow, quick reply!)

OK, I guess I've narrowed it to either the front panel (with the buttons) or
the power control panel. Looking at the links you gave me (thanks), the
front panel is $60-ish and the power control panel is ~$150! Yipe! Heck, I
can buy a new oven for $200.

I'd like to determine if just replacing the cheaper part (the front panel)
will fix it. Does this narrow it down at all? The bottom row of buttons on
the front a

---------------------- ---------------------- ----------------------
| Work light | | Night light | |
Fan |
---------------------- ---------------------- ----------------------

All three buttons beep. Only the far right one (Fan) actually work. The
other two light buttons just beep; no light comes on or off.

From this can I tell if it's the front button panel OR the power control
panel inside? Thanks very much.

I can replace one, two, or all three of these separately? It's not

just one
unit?

All one unit.

And how do I discharge the high voltage capacitor?

These should help...
Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated
handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of
the high voltage capacitor to discharge it. With the microwave
unplugged.

http://www.applianceaid.com/newimages/nuker101.JPG

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Appliance Repair Aid

Fr@nk wrote:
[...]

---------------------- ----------------------

----------------------
| Work light | | Night light | |
Fan |
---------------------- ----------------------

----------------------

All three buttons beep. Only the far right one (Fan) actually work.

The
other two light buttons just beep; no light comes on or off.

From this can I tell if it's the front button panel OR the power

control
[...]

From this can I tell if it's the front button panel OR the power

control
panel inside?

With a noise being made by pressing the key panal pad, that would be a
good sign the key/touch pads are working and the problem is on the main
control/smart board. I'd open it up ( power off first ) and remove the
smart board and inspect front and back side of the board for any burnt
traces first.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Fr@nk

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
oups.com...

With a noise being made by pressing the key panal pad, that would be a
good sign the key/touch pads are working and the problem is on the main
control/smart board. I'd open it up ( power off first ) and remove the
smart board and inspect front and back side of the board for any burnt
traces first.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

OK, I pulled the panel/board combination out and took it to a local
appliance repair shop. They took it in back for a few minutes and told me
they checked it, and the board is fine; the buttons are fine. They asked me,
"What's wrong with the microwave?". I said (pointing to the light buttons)
that the work light and night light buttons don't work anymore (but the fan
button, right next to those, works). They told me I'd have to bring the
whole microwave in. Ouch! It's an over-the-range model. I don't even know
where I'd start to try to unmount the thing from the wall.

OK, I'm out of ideas now. I know it's not the bulbs; I swapped the good
in-oven bulb with the work light one, and the work light still didn't come
on. I pulled out each bulb's socket and examined the connections; they're
all solid--not loose or broken. The only thing left I can think of would be
a wire INSIDE the plastic casing has broken...but I can't believe that
happened. There is a plain old fuse sitting there behind the control panel
(inside the main microwave, not part of the panel board), but it doesn't
seem like a little work light would use such a fuse (it's about an inch
long, 1/4 inch in diameter).

Anyone have any other ideas as to what can be knocking out my microwave's
worklight/nightlight? Again, the buttons still beep; they just don't do
anything. Can I just get replacement wires (they have the little plastic
connectors soldered to their ends)? Do they need to be "official" Sharp
wires or can I just use some Radio Shack wires? Any help is appreciated;
thanks.

Appliance Repair Aid

Fr@nk wrote:
[...]

Glad to hear the board is not burnt, but it cannot be deemed "ok"
outside of the microwave as power is needed to operate the relay(s) on
the board for the lights.

Broken or open wire between the board and sockets is possible, each
wire would have to be checked for continuity. Any "stove/range" style
wire will do fine.

The sockets can be removed and a cheater cord attached to each socket
to check the bulbs and sockets.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Fr@nk

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi,

Glad to hear the board is not burnt, but it cannot be deemed "ok"
outside of the microwave as power is needed to operate the relay(s) on
the board for the lights.

Broken or open wire between the board and sockets is possible, each
wire would have to be checked for continuity. Any "stove/range" style
wire will do fine.

The sockets can be removed and a cheater cord attached to each socket
to check the bulbs and sockets.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Jeff-

There's just no way I'm going to take the whole oven off the wall and bring
it in to this place (or any place). Do you know if any of the "mail in"
board repair places (I found at least one on the net) that supposedly
specialize in these repairs can actually test and repair the board/relay?
I'd consider that as an alternative. Otherwise I'll have to pay someone to
come out and test it in my house.

I'll have to try to find some wires with these type connectors, and replace
them to test. Thanks for your help.

Whirlpool refrigerator water dispenser stopped working - icemaker works fine Jeff Home Repair 0 May 5th 04 09:06 PM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
O-T light bulb Fuddzy Woodworking 2 January 15th 04 04:43 PM
Light Bulb Stormin Mormonn Home Repair 19 December 10th 03 03:28 AM
Changing a light bulb jay UK diy 11 October 18th 03 08:28 PM