Dan C

Default New house concrete slab crack

Hello all,

I have a new construction house under way (in Florida). It's still in the
rough stages (walls and roof up, plumbing and wiring mostly done, no
sheetrock yet). Today I noticed a crack (narrow, almost a "hairline"
crack) running for about 15 feet across the slab. Is it somewhat
normal/expected to have a crack in the slab, or is this a very big warning
sign that I should bring up with the builder? Thanks for information.

Linux Registered User #327951

m Ransley

Small cracks are normal

As Don Young says, some hairline cracks are not unusual and joints of
several kinds are used to control cracking. Concrete changes volume as
it cures and if the soil is not properly prepared, can settle.

The size, shape, and location relative to other features can give
useful information on causes and severity.

TB

G Henslee

Dan,

As the others have said small cracks are inevitable however you may want
to fill them with rubberized caulking if they widen anymore, prior to
putting down your finish floors such as carpet. Doing so may deter ants
and such from appearing later.

Dan C wrote:

Hello all,

I have a new construction house under way (in Florida). It's still in the
rough stages (walls and roof up, plumbing and wiring mostly done, no
sheetrock yet). Today I noticed a crack (narrow, almost a "hairline"
crack) running for about 15 feet across the slab. Is it somewhat
normal/expected to have a crack in the slab, or is this a very big warning
sign that I should bring up with the builder? Thanks for information.

Dan C

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:52:03 -0800, tbasc wrote:

As Don Young says, some hairline cracks are not unusual and joints of
several kinds are used to control cracking. Concrete changes volume as
it cures and if the soil is not properly prepared, can settle.

The size, shape, and location relative to other features can give
useful information on causes and severity.

Thanks (and also to the others who replied)! I guess I'll not worry too
much about it. Appreciate the help.

Linux Registered User #327951

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 24th 04 12:50 AM
pouring concrete over existing slab MC Home Repair 1 October 30th 04 06:57 PM
Slab for AC not concrete... Home Repair 7 October 21st 04 06:17 PM
crack in floor slab under carpet Chervah Home Repair 1 August 11th 03 06:42 AM
Finding drain pipe under a concrete slab mark Ransley Home Repair 7 August 10th 03 11:48 PM