DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rat urine in wood furniture (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/94761-rat-urine-wood-furniture.html)

Dee March 12th 05 01:45 AM

Rat urine in wood furniture

My sister-in-law wanted me to ask for suggestions in getting the smell of
stale rat urine out of wood furniture. Her parents had the furniture in
storage and she's decided she wants to use it, but it smells. Any
suggestions? She tried bleach (with the intention of refinishing the
furniture) but it didn't help.

Thanks for any advice.

Edwin Pawlowski March 12th 05 03:48 AM

"Dee" wrote in message
My sister-in-law wanted me to ask for suggestions in getting the smell of
stale rat urine out of wood furniture. Her parents had the furniture in
storage and she's decided she wants to use it, but it smells. Any
suggestions? She tried bleach (with the intention of refinishing the
furniture) but it didn't help.

Thanks for any advice.

Shellac is supposed to seal in any odors. It is a good finish in its own
right, but is also a good layer between other coatings.

Norminn March 12th 05 10:49 AM

Dee wrote:
My sister-in-law wanted me to ask for suggestions in getting the smell of
stale rat urine out of wood furniture. Her parents had the furniture in
storage and she's decided she wants to use it, but it smells. Any
suggestions? She tried bleach (with the intention of refinishing the
furniture) but it didn't help.

Thanks for any advice.

It may be God's way of telling her this is not really good furniture to
have in your home. Not a dining room table, I hope :o)

A few years back, I rescued a nice piece of furniture from a condemned
house. There had been cats in the house that eliminated everywhere in
the house. Had the furniture not had a thick coat of paint, I would not
have taken it. Before I even put it into the car, I doused it with pure
bleach.

Rat waste is really, really nasty stuff and can spread disease. BTW,
how do you know what stale rat urine smells like?

Dee March 12th 05 02:44 PM

It may be God's way of telling her this is not really good furniture to
have in your home. Not a dining room table, I hope :o)

No kidding. :-) Well I got some more details. I was pleased to learn they're
wood plant stands that will be used on a patio. (I think I'd just buy new
ones.)
Thanks for the suggestions of the shellac and (more) bleach. I'll pass it
along.

Edwin Pawlowski March 12th 05 02:58 PM

"Dee" wrote in message
It may be God's way of telling her this is not really good furniture to
have in your home. Not a dining room table, I hope :o)

No kidding. :-) Well I got some more details. I was pleased to learn
they're
wood plant stands that will be used on a patio. (I think I'd just buy new
ones.)
Thanks for the suggestions of the shellac and (more) bleach. I'll pass it
along.

In the case of shellac, it is not a good outdoor product. However, it can
be used as a barrier and then recoated with polyurethane that is able to
stand the weather. Us a spar version like Helmsman by Minwax.

ggg March 13th 05 04:21 PM

Dee wrote:
My sister-in-law wanted me to ask for suggestions in getting the smell of
stale rat urine out of wood furniture. Her parents had the furniture in
storage and she's decided she wants to use it, but it smells. Any
suggestions? She tried bleach (with the intention of refinishing the
furniture) but it didn't help.

Thanks for any advice.

dude, wouldn't that be a magnet/a beacon for rats to converge on that
furniture because it smells so homey???

Dee March 14th 05 04:10 PM

dude, wouldn't that be a magnet/a beacon for rats to converge on that
furniture because it smells so homey???

LOL! One would think. If it were mine, it'd have been kindling by now.

Norminn March 14th 05 09:12 PM

Dee wrote:
dude, wouldn't that be a magnet/a beacon for rats to converge on that
furniture because it smells so homey???

LOL! One would think. If it were mine, it'd have been kindling by now.

Handling the stuff or sanding it could give someone a case of something
worse than the flu. How gross!

Matt March 14th 05 09:21 PM

Deer or Fox urine works wonders at covering rat urine odor.

Matt March 14th 05 09:21 PM

Deer or Fox urine works wonders at covering rat urine odor.

Norminn March 14th 05 11:37 PM

Matt wrote:
Deer or Fox urine works wonders at covering rat urine odor.

That is useful to know, although I can't imagine what rat urine smells
like or why anyone would want to "cover" the smell. Kind of like having
a pool full of raw sewage, and pouring in perfume so's you can take a
swim.

The Real Tom March 15th 05 01:00 PM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 01:45:06 GMT, "Dee" wrote:

My sister-in-law wanted me to ask for suggestions in getting the smell of
stale rat urine out of wood furniture. Her parents had the furniture in
storage and she's decided she wants to use it, but it smells. Any
suggestions? She tried bleach (with the intention of refinishing the
furniture) but it didn't help.

Thanks for any advice.

Personally I would use fire, and lots of it.