DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gas wall oven (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/94557-gas-wall-oven.html)

[email protected] March 10th 05 05:16 AM

Gas wall oven

Cleaning lady may have hit something cause it will not ignite.
I re-lite the pilot but it still does not ignite (supposed to go on
after about 30 seconds) And there is a fairly strong gas odor.
Anything I can do or just call gas company (who may want to charge to
fix it)?

TIA

LB

Appliance Repair Aid March 10th 05 12:06 PM

wrote:
Cleaning lady may have hit something cause it will not ignite.
I re-lite the pilot but it still does not ignite (supposed to go on
after about 30 seconds) And there is a fairly strong gas odor.
Anything I can do or just call gas company (who may want to charge to
fix it)?

TIA

LB

Hi,

Make, model#, approx age?

I re-lite the pilot but it still does not ignite (supposed to go on
after about 30 seconds)

Pilot getting bigger when you set the oven temp? Pilot flame
surrounding the thermocouple?

And there is a fairly strong gas odor

Might be best to shut off the gas then until this is corrected.

or just call gas company (who may want to charge to
fix it)?

Nobody works for nothing! ;)

Something here may help...
http://www.applianceaid.com/gas.html#gas-help

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

[email protected] March 10th 05 12:19 PM

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Thank You! I was hoping you would reply.

The oven is a Caloric Ultra-Ray from 1969 or so.

The link has given me enough info to look around a little.

Again, Thanks!

LB

[email protected] March 10th 05 12:46 PM

wrote:

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Well I found the thermocouple and it was out of position.
A little fiddling and now the oven lites quicker than it ever did!

THANK YOU!

LB

[email protected] March 10th 05 03:27 PM

Good Morning.

Infinitely preferable to pay a small fee to fix the oven, if necessary,
than to blow yourself up.

If you sense a "strong gas odor" you have a potentially explosive
situation, and should passively ventilate the area (open doors/windows-
no fans) as possible, and evacuate the house. DO NOT even think about
touching any electrical switches. Seriously. Give it some time to
dissipate before reentering, or contact your Fire Dept. for help.

That way, we won't be reading about you in the papers.

I do hope you're reading this at the library or internet cafe.

HTH,
John

nospambob March 10th 05 07:43 PM

THANK YOU for providing closure with what corrected the problem, wish
more did.

Appliance Repair Aid March 10th 05 09:54 PM

Well I found the thermocouple and it was out of position.
A little fiddling and now the oven lites quicker than it ever did!

THANK YOU!

LB

Glad we could help! :)

Thankx for the update!! That should help others as well :)

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

[email protected] March 10th 05 09:59 PM

wrote:
Cleaning lady may have hit something cause it will not ignite.
I re-lite the pilot but it still does not ignite (supposed to go on
after about 30 seconds) And there is a fairly strong gas odor.
Anything I can do or just call gas company (who may want to charge to
fix it)?

TIA

LB

You should have read the rest of the thread, esp the part marked SOLVED:-))

LB