DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Craftsman snowblower won't run... (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/94414-craftsman-snowblower-wont-run.html)

Jason March 9th 05 10:49 AM

Craftsman snowblower won't run...

Just bought a new Craftsman snowblower back in October.

Used it a total of 5 times, now it won't start or run longer than 30
seconds to 1 minute.

Initially the first two times I used it, it ran fine...but always
sounded as if it was backfiring (only way to describe it).

New gas, and oil (checked)

It started to get progressively worse since then...it has a electric
start.

The third time I used it, it started, then died in the driveway
multiple times....I turned the choke down some and it started and ran
fine.

Same thing happend the fourth time I used it.

Yesterday, I went to start it and the thing will start but runs and
sputters for about 30 seconds then just dies. The engine doesn't
sound like its running full out either. No matter what I do it won't
stay running long. Any ideas?

Edwin Pawlowski March 9th 05 12:29 PM

"Jason" wrote in message
Just bought a new Craftsman snowblower back in October.

If that is the case, it is still under warranty. Sears will tune it up for
you.

m Ransley March 9th 05 01:05 PM

Ive had sears give my a new dehumidifier even after 11 months, you
never know. It is likely an air leak at the carb-engine or a loose fuel
line, after the carb empties it sucks air. It could also be junk in your
fuel can clogged the carb. Most motors have No fuel filter, a dumb way
for them to save 1$. Im sure they will fix it but repairs take time
and you need it now. Call Sears or go there, and see if something is
loose or a cracked hose.

Jason March 9th 05 05:06 PM

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 06:05:30 -0600, (m Ransley)
wrote:

Ive had sears give my a new dehumidifier even after 11 months, you
never know. It is likely an air leak at the carb-engine or a loose fuel
line, after the carb empties it sucks air. It could also be junk in your
fuel can clogged the carb. Most motors have No fuel filter, a dumb way
for them to save 1$. Im sure they will fix it but repairs take time
and you need it now. Call Sears or go there, and see if something is
loose or a cracked hose.

Just tried some stabilizer with no luck...thing runs for 10 seconds
tops then quits.

One thing I noticed is if I prime it it, starts up right away then
dies.

When its warm it wont start at all until primed again.

HaroldWho March 9th 05 08:09 PM

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:49:42 GMT, Jason wrote in alt.home.repair:
Just bought a new Craftsman snowblower back in October.

Used it a total of 5 times, now it won't start or run longer than 30
seconds to 1 minute.

Had a very similar problem with my new Honda 621. It was dirt in the fuel
system.

It was under warranty, but I had to raise h*ll with the dealer a couple of
times to get it fixed right.

Take it back to Sears and insist that they fix it and not let it sit, then
tell you that it ran fine for them.

Good luck,

HW
--
Powered by SuSE Linux 9.0 -- Kernel 2.6.9
News Reader slrn 0.9.8.1

Stormin Mormon March 10th 05 02:22 PM

Sounds like carb problems of some sort. I'm thinking water in the gas.

If you're mechanically minded enough, pull the carb apart, and make sure
it's nto got a load of water. If you're not mechanical, you may have some
luck with three or four ounces of your favorite "auto dry gas" poured into
the gas tank.

I bought a used snow blower years ago. Used to run for a couple seconds.
Turns out to be some black junk in the fuel tank. After dissembling the carb
several times, I finally installed an inline fuel filter, and now it runs
much better.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Dan March 11th 05 01:21 AM

The fact that it runs on prime for a few seconds is classic. This
supplies fuel for a moment, after which the carburetor should take over,
which it is not doing. Most likely the main jet is plugged. As has
been suggested, the machine should be under warranty, plus it's less
than 6 months old. The nice thing about big retailers like Sears is the
employees couldn't care less about losing $$$ on a return. Odds are if
you take it back & bitch enough they will give you a new one. Ask for a
manager if necessary and carp up a storm. Failing that, a quick & dirty
approach with a good chance of success is to pull the bowl off the carb,
spray everything with gummout jetspray carb cleaner, removing the jet
&/or needle at the base if possible & spray up inside (count the turns
if there is a mixture needle & screw it back in the same amount). If
you have access to compressed air, blast the hell out of it with this
afterward. Put the bowl back on & try it again. Right way to do this
is with the appropriate carburetor overhaul kit & the carb totally
removed/disassembled, but if you just want to get it running for the
rest of the season try it this way 1st w/o new bowl gasket etc., then
replace them after you run it dry for storage. And by all means DO run
it dry, if not next year you will have all kinds of misery from the
dried up 2 cycle oil gunk in the carb. "Been there, done that" as they say.

Dan

ChazC March 11th 05 10:22 PM

Jason wrote:
[...]

try loosening the gas cap and see if it runs. it may be that the vents
are plugged

Jason March 12th 05 01:16 AM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:22:41 -0500, ChazC wrote:

Jason wrote:
[...]

Will give that a try tomorrow. Sears says its under a 2 year warrenty.
They are sending someone out on Wednesday...to bad we are getting
3-8 inches of snow tomorrow and the next day with possible snow the
rest of the week!