W. Watson

Default Hole Saw--Removing the Saw from the Bit?

I have a hole saw, 2" in diameter that is fastened to a drill bit with a nut
that secures the bit to the cylndrical cutter. How does one get it apart? The
cutter looks like a small tin can with one end missing. That end has the teeth.
The top has a hole for the bit, and two small holes to either side. I have a
suspicion that the two small holes are for a tool to help unloosen the nut
holding the bit.

In the past, I'm sure I used a wrench on the nut and held the cutting tool with
a pliers. Not so easy this time.

"The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious,
it seems, takes longer." -- Edward R. Murrow

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Edwin Pawlowski

"W. Watson" wrote in message
k.net...
I have a hole saw, 2" in diameter that is fastened to a drill bit with a
nut that secures the bit to the cylndrical cutter. How does one get it
apart? The cutter looks like a small tin can with one end missing. That end
has the teeth. The top has a hole for the bit, and two small holes to
either side. I have a suspicion that the two small holes are for a tool to
help unloosen the nut holding the bit.

In the past, I'm sure I used a wrench on the nut and held the cutting tool
with a pliers. Not so easy this time.

I don't completely understand this. Some arbors have a set screw that holes
the center drill bit in place. Is that what you want to get out? Or do you
want to get the saw portion off? Some brands have "disk" on top that must
be pulled up and then the saw is unscrewed from the arbor.

See the two small holes? Is there a piece in them holding it in place? They
must be retracted to unscrew the saw.

Robert Allison

W. Watson wrote:

I have a hole saw, 2" in diameter that is fastened to a drill bit with a
nut that secures the bit to the cylndrical cutter. How does one get it
apart? The cutter looks like a small tin can with one end missing. That
end has the teeth. The top has a hole for the bit, and two small holes
to either side. I have a suspicion that the two small holes are for a
tool to help unloosen the nut holding the bit.

In the past, I'm sure I used a wrench on the nut and held the cutting
tool with a pliers. Not so easy this time.

The hole saw (the can part) is threaded onto the arbor (the part with
the spiral bit and nut). It must be unscrewed. I usually put a screw
driver thru the side slots and use a wrench on the nut. You could also
put the hole saw in a vice and use a wrench. If you put on some good
leather gloves and hold the hole saw, put a wrench on the nut and tap it
with a hammer, it usually comes loose.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
toller

Funny you should ask; I used my new hole saw set today and was wondering
about the same holes. (Blu-Mol?)

If you stick two drill shanks in, it will give you something solid to hold
onto while you remove the arbor with a wrench. At least that is what I came
up with. There is probably some sort of special pin wrench that fits them,
but the drills worked.

Kim

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=507846

Take a look at the above and enlarge the picture. I have this setup. Larger
diameter saws require the arbor with 2 pins that go into the 2 holes on top
for a positive lock. The arbor for the small holes does not have pins and is
not interchangeable with arbor for large holes.

You should be able to get it apart, its right hand thread.

"W. Watson" wrote in message
k.net...
I have a hole saw, 2" in diameter that is fastened to a drill bit with a
nut that secures the bit to the cylndrical cutter. How does one get it
apart? The cutter looks like a small tin can with one end missing. That end
has the teeth. The top has a hole for the bit, and two small holes to
either side. I have a suspicion that the two small holes are for a tool to
help unloosen the nut holding the bit.

In the past, I'm sure I used a wrench on the nut and held the cutting tool
with a pliers. Not so easy this time.

"The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious,
it seems, takes longer." -- Edward R. Murrow

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

W. Watson

Robert Allison wrote:

W. Watson wrote:

[...]

It's made by Vermont American, called a Carbon Hole Saw. Yes, an arbor as you
described it. There are no slide slits, unfortunately. I'm not real comfortable
about putting the can part in the vise in that it might warp the can, although
it seems pretty sturdy. Well, maybe a little oil into the nut and thread. The
two parts are nicely stuck--so far. Back to the bench.

"The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious,
it seems, takes longer." -- Edward R. Murrow

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews
Edwin Pawlowski

"W. Watson" wrote in message

It's made by Vermont American,

OK, now I see the problem. They are good for maybe one hole. If you
intend to use it for more than that, buy a better brand.

Ed

"W. Watson" wrote

That end has the teeth.
The top has a hole for the bit, and two small holes to either side. I have
a suspicion that the two small holes are for a tool to help unloosen the
nut holding the bit.

The two holes are for pushing out the piece removed from whatever you were
cutting.

In the past, I'm sure I used a wrench on the nut and held the cutting tool
with a pliers. Not so easy this time.

Easy or not, mine works just this way.

W. Watson

Solved the problem. I put liquid wrench on the nut, grabbed the saw with a rag,
put a wrench on the nut and twisted. Still couldn't get it off, so I took it to
the hardware store, and asked the guy who sold it to me. He did the same thing
but got out a hammer and whacked the wrench a few times. Off it came. I've now
oiled the arbor threads.

"The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious,
it seems, takes longer." -- Edward R. Murrow

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews
BobK207

put the the hex partof the arbor in a bench vise & use a pipe wrench on
the hole saw; you might have to give the wrench a smack.

Arbors that connect to the hole only with a screw thread tend to get
stuck. The better arbors had a sliding element with two egagement pins
that do the driving. They usually engage before the thread is
completely tight.

A drop of oil on the threads prior to assembly will help prevent
lockup.

cheers
Bob

Robert Allison

W. Watson wrote:
Solved the problem. I put liquid wrench on the nut, grabbed the saw with
a rag, put a wrench on the nut and twisted. Still couldn't get it off,
so I took it to the hardware store, and asked the guy who sold it to me.
He did the same thing but got out a hammer and whacked the wrench a few
times. Off it came. I've now oiled the arbor threads.

I will quote from my previous response:

If you put on some good leather gloves and hold the hole saw, put a
wrench on the nut and tap it with a hammer, it usually comes loose.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX
DanG

Sorry, Ed, the holes are for the drive lugs. They are not
anywhere near long enough to knock out slugs, though I suppose the
correct punch could be used to do so after the hole saw is removed
from the mandrel. Failure to use the drive lugs will cause the
hole saw to jamb onto the mandrel tenaciously.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Ed" wrote in message

"W. Watson" wrote

That end has the teeth.
The top has a hole for the bit, and two small holes to either
side. I have a suspicion that the two small holes are for a
tool to help unloosen the nut holding the bit.

The two holes are for pushing out the piece removed from
whatever you were cutting.

In the past, I'm sure I used a wrench on the nut and held the
cutting tool with a pliers. Not so easy this time.

Easy or not, mine works just this way.

Ed

"DanG" wrote

Sorry, Ed, the holes are for the drive lugs. They are not anywhere near
long enough to knock out slugs, though I suppose the correct punch could
be used to do so after the hole saw is removed from the mandrel. Failure
to use the drive lugs will cause the hole saw to jamb onto the mandrel
tenaciously.

I stand corrected then. That's what I've always used the holes for. I guess
I never had a hole saw that came with drive lugs because I've never seen
them, I usually buy the cheap stuff when I think a tool may be used just
once or twice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to W. Watson, S. Keller wrote:
best bet is to get an arbor with a quick release collar, it has two posts that
are spring loaded and fit into the hole saw bit and keep it from over
tightening on the arbor threads.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...it-596912-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 5, 2016 at 12:44:05 PM UTC-4, S. Keller wrote:
replying to W. Watson, S. Keller wrote:
best bet is to get an arbor with a quick release collar, it has two posts that
are spring loaded and fit into the hole saw bit and keep it from over
tightening on the arbor threads.

A better bet is to not wait 11 years to offer a suggestion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 5, 2016 at 11:44:05 AM UTC-5, S. Keller wrote:
replying to W. Watson, S. Keller wrote:
best bet is to get an arbor with a quick release collar, it has two posts that
are spring loaded and fit into the hole saw bit and keep it from over
tightening on the arbor threads.
--

Actually, Sherlock Holmes helped Watson solve "The Mystery Of The Stuck Arbor" some 11 years ago. The book has been out for a while and there is talk of a movie. It should be exciting. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Detective Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 17:02:23 -0400
Tekkie® wrote:

No gerbils?

So you are gay then?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 6, 2016 at 4:02:22 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:
Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

On Friday, August 5, 2016 at 11:44:05 AM UTC-5, S. Keller wrote:
replying to W. Watson, S. Keller wrote:
best bet is to get an arbor with a quick release collar, it has two posts that
are spring loaded and fit into the hole saw bit and keep it from over
tightening on the arbor threads.
--

Actually, Sherlock Holmes helped Watson solve "The Mystery Of The Stuck Arbor" some 11 years ago. The book has been out for a while and there is talk of a movie. It should be exciting. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Detective Monster

No gerbils?
--
Tekkie

The writer, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle never owned gerbils so the little critters weren't included in the story. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Rodent Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 6, 2016 at 6:18:54 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

So the mere fact that he didn't have gerbils keeps you from writing about your favorite "funny" animal? Go figure?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 6, 2016 at 6:22:47 PM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
[...]

My favorite funny animals are small human children, Martian children are a close second. The toes are the crunchy part. In spite of that, there were no gerbils in the story. I was simply being accurate. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Funny Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

burfordTjustice posted for all of us...

On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 17:02:23 -0400
Tekkie® wrote:

No gerbils?

So you are gay then?

No I am not. However you seem to frequent the he/she part of the equation so
I don't know where you reside and don't really care.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Robert Allison, Michelle from Phoenix wrote:
Robert, the screwdriver tip worked _perfectly_! Thanks!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-596912-.htm