DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   air cond. window to wall (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/94305-air-cond-window-wall.html)

Sandy O. March 8th 05 06:54 PM

air cond. window to wall

Hi, could anyone tell me how to install a window a/c through a brick
wall? Thanks, all appriciated. Sandy

Ed March 8th 05 07:53 PM

"Sandy O." wrote

Hi, could anyone tell me how to install a window a/c through a brick
wall? Thanks, all appriciated. Sandy

It may not be possible. Air conditioners that go through brick walls have
special air routing. On a window a/c the louvers in the cabinet are on the
sides. Air is drawn in through these openings and blown through the
condenser and then out the back. For the application you describe, the use a
different method. The air goes in through one side of the rear panel and out
the other side, it makes like a 'U' turn. If you put a window unit in the
wall and the side louvers are covered by the wall it won't work properly or
at all.

[email protected] March 8th 05 08:22 PM

I agree.
Ed explains it well.
Through wall units are easily available in places like New York City.
I'm one could be special orderd anywhere.
TB

Travis Jordan March 8th 05 08:41 PM

wrote:
Through wall units are easily available in places like New York City.

All the major manufacturers make 'em.
http://www.google.com/search?&q=thru...r+conditioners

Edwin Pawlowski March 8th 05 09:41 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
I agree.
Ed explains it well.
Through wall units are easily available in places like New York City.
I'm one could be special orderd anywhere.
TB

I've done four of them. As long as the side vents are not blocked (by the
thicker wall), it will work properly. Hardest part of the job is cutting
the brick. I used a circular saw with an abrasive blade made for masonry.
Finish with a chisel

Larger units with a slide out chassis are the easiest. You mount the casing
and then slide in the unit. You may want to frame out the opening with 1 x
6 (or whatever thickness) and then screw the box into it.

Be sure there are no pipes, wires, heat ducts, air returns, in the walls
first. Safe place is often under an existing window.

LFR March 8th 05 11:55 PM

wrote in message ups.com...
I agree.
Ed explains it well.
Through wall units are easily available in places like New York City.
I'm one could be special orderd anywhere.
TB

The BORG carries wall units.

TURTLE March 9th 05 02:26 AM

"Sandy O." wrote in message
Hi, could anyone tell me how to install a window a/c through a brick
wall? Thanks, all appriciated. Sandy

This is Turtle.

Here is a picture if you can pick it up. Throw the Wall units are installed
every day and also through brick walls.

TURTLE

Stormin Mormon March 9th 05 02:11 PM

Don't.

Window AC need to draw air in the sides to exhaust the heat out the back. If
you cover the sides (for example, mounting in a wall) the unit won't work.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

David Efflandt March 13th 05 09:49 AM

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 13:54:45 -0500, Sandy O. wrote:
Hi, could anyone tell me how to install a window a/c through a brick
wall? Thanks, all appriciated. Sandy

There are a/c units specifically made for wall installation. I don't know
how long they typically last, but the one I have appears to be almost 40
years old (before the manufacturer used their current serial number
system). On the other hand, a 2nd floor window shaker that looks like
current models (installed by previous owner) only lasted me 1 summer.

Something to consider is that future wall shakers may not be the same size
as current models.

If you do not want to hack up your nice brick wall, you may want to
consider a mini-split unit. It has the evaporator inside and condensor
outside, connected with freon lines and power (small hole). They are more
expensive, but do not require chopping a big hole out of your brick wall.