DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Smoke Alarms (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/94183-smoke-alarms.html)

Jerr March 5th 05 01:30 PM

Smoke Alarms

I have six Firex AD smoke alarms hardwired in my house. They also have
battery backup. I know that when the unit emits a low beep every minute the
battery is weak. I have a situation where one of the alarms sounds loudly
for 10 to 15 seconds and sometimes setting another unit off. There is
definitely no smoke setting it off. What can it be?

The Real Tom March 5th 05 02:58 PM

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 08:30:18 -0500, "Jerr" wrote:

I have six Firex AD smoke alarms hardwired in my house. They also have
battery backup. I know that when the unit emits a low beep every minute the
battery is weak. I have a situation where one of the alarms sounds loudly
for 10 to 15 seconds and sometimes setting another unit off. There is
definitely no smoke setting it off. What can it be?

Time to replace a detector? scratches head

Back in the 70/eary 80's we got smoke detectors installed in the
hallway of our apartments, we were woken many times due to false
alarms. The roaches would crawl in and setup the detector. So check
to see if you have a 'bug' living in your detector.

hth,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

nobody March 6th 05 12:49 PM

"The Real Tom" Tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com wrote in message
On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 08:30:18 -0500, "Jerr" wrote:

I have six Firex AD smoke alarms hardwired in my house. They also have
battery backup. I know that when the unit emits a low beep every minute
the
battery is weak. I have a situation where one of the alarms sounds loudly
for 10 to 15 seconds and sometimes setting another unit off. There is
definitely no smoke setting it off. What can it be?

Time to replace a detector? scratches head

Back in the 70/eary 80's we got smoke detectors installed in the
hallway of our apartments, we were woken many times due to false
alarms. The roaches would crawl in and setup the detector. So check
to see if you have a 'bug' living in your detector.

hth,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Firex smoke alarms have a five year warrantee, by the way.

The Real Tom March 6th 05 03:29 PM

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 07:49:52 -0500, "nobody"
wrote:

"The Real Tom" Tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 08:30:18 -0500, "Jerr" wrote:

I have six Firex AD smoke alarms hardwired in my house. They also have
battery backup. I know that when the unit emits a low beep every minute
the
battery is weak. I have a situation where one of the alarms sounds loudly
for 10 to 15 seconds and sometimes setting another unit off. There is
definitely no smoke setting it off. What can it be?

Time to replace a detector? scratches head

Back in the 70/eary 80's we got smoke detectors installed in the
hallway of our apartments, we were woken many times due to false
alarms. The roaches would crawl in and setup the detector. So check
to see if you have a 'bug' living in your detector.

hth,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Firex smoke alarms have a five year warrantee, by the way.

Have to check mine. You saying that instantly made me wonder. If the
warrenty is 10 years, then why every tens years to replace them?

Just curious......

Tom @ www.MedicalJobList.com

nobody March 7th 05 11:41 PM

wrote:

[...]

The Radioactive material that allows the unit to sense smoke loses its
radioactivity after ten years. A warrantee for half of the lifespan of the
unit isn't bad, is it?