nr

Default GFCI Outlet Tripping

I have a GFCI outlet that will run fine for days than trip. Attempts
to reset fail, but the next day it will reset OK then stay on for about
a week. I replaced the first GFCI outlet with a new one with the same
results.

The only loads on the circuit when it fails are two Limelight
nightlights (not a lot of draw).

Any ideas what might be causing this to happen and/or how to correct?

Doug Miller

In article .com, "nr" wrote:
I have a GFCI outlet that will run fine for days than trip. Attempts
to reset fail, but the next day it will reset OK then stay on for about
a week. I replaced the first GFCI outlet with a new one with the same
results.

The only loads on the circuit when it fails are two Limelight
nightlights (not a lot of draw).

Any ideas what might be causing this to happen and/or how to correct?

Moisture in an outdoor receptacle box that's fed through this GFCI. Seal the
box to keep moisture out.

--
Regards,

Edwin Pawlowski

"nr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a GFCI outlet that will run fine for days than trip. Attempts
to reset fail, but the next day it will reset OK then stay on for about
a week. I replaced the first GFCI outlet with a new one with the same
results.

The only loads on the circuit when it fails are two Limelight
nightlights (not a lot of draw).

Any ideas what might be causing this to happen and/or how to correct?

Draw is not what the GFCI is for. Ground faults and shorts will trip it. Is
any of the lights located in a moist environment? Check the wiring for
wires touching, moisture bridging, etc.

SQLit

"nr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a GFCI outlet that will run fine for days than trip. Attempts
to reset fail, but the next day it will reset OK then stay on for about
a week. I replaced the first GFCI outlet with a new one with the same
results.

The only loads on the circuit when it fails are two Limelight
nightlights (not a lot of draw).

Any ideas what might be causing this to happen and/or how to correct?

I have no clue what a limelight is. Remove the limelight's and see if the
problem goes away.

Art

Replace the limelite with something else and see if it still trips. If not
there is something wrong with the limelite and discard it. For the poster
who did not know what a limelite is they are a flat green nightlite with no
bulb. Really nice item that can be found in almost any store these days.

"nr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a GFCI outlet that will run fine for days than trip. Attempts
to reset fail, but the next day it will reset OK then stay on for about
a week. I replaced the first GFCI outlet with a new one with the same
results.

The only loads on the circuit when it fails are two Limelight
nightlights (not a lot of draw).

Any ideas what might be causing this to happen and/or how to correct?

The Real Tom

On 4 Mar 2005 04:01:37 -0800, "nr" wrote:

I have a GFCI outlet that will run fine for days than trip. Attempts
to reset fail, but the next day it will reset OK then stay on for about
a week. I replaced the first GFCI outlet with a new one with the same
results.

The only loads on the circuit when it fails are two Limelight
nightlights (not a lot of draw).

Any ideas what might be causing this to happen and/or how to correct?

Where is this gfci located? And where are the wires routed, ie,
basement, outside wall, etc....

later,

tom
The Real Tom

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 07:42:16 -0700, "SQLit"
wrote:

"nr" wrote in message
roups.com...
I have a GFCI outlet that will run fine for days than trip. Attempts
to reset fail, but the next day it will reset OK then stay on for about
a week. I replaced the first GFCI outlet with a new one with the same
results.

The only loads on the circuit when it fails are two Limelight
nightlights (not a lot of draw).

Any ideas what might be causing this to happen and/or how to correct?

I have no clue what a limelight is. Remove the limelight's and see if the
problem goes away.

Limelight, like this blueone, lime green color.

http://images.lowes.com/product/0706...d=158&cvt=jpeg

hth,

tom @ www.MedicalJobList.com

nr

Thanks for the responses. The GFCI receptacle is in a bathroom. When
it is working, I've run a heater with no problems. The wires are run
through the attic. I spoke with my electric company yesterday and was
advised it might be a loose ground connection and that maybe it only
happened after a heavy rain. I don't remember the previous conditions
but Thursday we had heavy rains and the GFCI tripped and wouldn't
reset, but Friday afternoon, after things had dried out, it reset fine.
Now I have to find where the ground connection is.

Dave Morrison

nr wrote:
Thanks for the responses. The GFCI receptacle is in a bathroom. When
it is working, I've run a heater with no problems. The wires are run
through the attic. I spoke with my electric company yesterday and was
advised it might be a loose ground connection and that maybe it only
happened after a heavy rain. I don't remember the previous conditions
but Thursday we had heavy rains and the GFCI tripped and wouldn't
reset, but Friday afternoon, after things had dried out, it reset fine.
Now I have to find where the ground connection is.

The GFI is probably protecting some other outlets down stream, very
common. The rain problem makes me suspect that is protecting an outdoor
receptacle. Check your outdoor outlets, if you find one with no power
make it rain proof.
Dave

Terry

"Dave Morrison" wrote in message
nr wrote:
Thanks for the responses. The GFCI receptacle is in a bathroom. When
it is working, I've run a heater with no problems. The wires are run
through the attic. I spoke with my electric company yesterday and was
advised it might be a loose ground connection and that maybe it only
happened after a heavy rain. I don't remember the previous conditions
but Thursday we had heavy rains and the GFCI tripped and wouldn't
reset, but Friday afternoon, after things had dried out, it reset fine.
Now I have to find where the ground connection is.

The GFI is probably protecting some other outlets down stream, very
common. The rain problem makes me suspect that is protecting an outdoor
receptacle. Check your outdoor outlets, if you find one with no power make
it rain proof.
Dave

If i understand correctly GFCIs operate when there is some sort of unbalance
between the current flowing to the appliance on say the live wire and
returning from the appliance through the neutral wire.
This condition could include a leakage to ground from something live, such
as a damp/faulty outlet or something switched off but faulty, plugged into
the GFCI outlet itself or to another 'downstream outlet protected by the
GFCI.
For example we have a GFCI inside the garage but it also protects one other
'outside' outlet on an outer wall. The snap cover of the outside outlet
failed to close, snow got into the outlet and melted. GFCI operated as it
should probably due to leakage through dampness to the grounded metal wall
box.