Old March 4th 05, 01:01 PM
nr

Default GFCI Outlet Tripping

I have a GFCI outlet that will run fine for days than trip. Attempts
to reset fail, but the next day it will reset OK then stay on for about
a week. I replaced the first GFCI outlet with a new one with the same
results.

The only loads on the circuit when it fails are two Limelight
nightlights (not a lot of draw).

Any ideas what might be causing this to happen and/or how to correct?

Old March 4th 05, 02:24 PM
Doug Miller

In article .com, "nr" wrote:
I have a GFCI outlet that will run fine for days than trip. Attempts
to reset fail, but the next day it will reset OK then stay on for about
a week. I replaced the first GFCI outlet with a new one with the same
results.

The only loads on the circuit when it fails are two Limelight
nightlights (not a lot of draw).

Any ideas what might be causing this to happen and/or how to correct?

Moisture in an outdoor receptacle box that's fed through this GFCI. Seal the
box to keep moisture out.

--
Regards,

Old March 4th 05, 02:54 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"nr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a GFCI outlet that will run fine for days than trip. Attempts
to reset fail, but the next day it will reset OK then stay on for about
a week. I replaced the first GFCI outlet with a new one with the same
results.

The only loads on the circuit when it fails are two Limelight
nightlights (not a lot of draw).

Any ideas what might be causing this to happen and/or how to correct?

Draw is not what the GFCI is for. Ground faults and shorts will trip it. Is
any of the lights located in a moist environment? Check the wiring for
wires touching, moisture bridging, etc.

Old March 4th 05, 03:42 PM
SQLit

"nr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a GFCI outlet that will run fine for days than trip. Attempts
to reset fail, but the next day it will reset OK then stay on for about
a week. I replaced the first GFCI outlet with a new one with the same
results.

The only loads on the circuit when it fails are two Limelight
nightlights (not a lot of draw).

Any ideas what might be causing this to happen and/or how to correct?

I have no clue what a limelight is. Remove the limelight's and see if the
problem goes away.

Old March 4th 05, 04:11 PM
Art

Replace the limelite with something else and see if it still trips. If not
there is something wrong with the limelite and discard it. For the poster
who did not know what a limelite is they are a flat green nightlite with no
bulb. Really nice item that can be found in almost any store these days.

oups.com...

Old March 4th 05, 05:17 PM
curmudgeon

For the poster who thinks those nightlites are "limelights"....they're
called electroluminescent panels.

"Art" wrote in message
k.net...
Replace the limelite with something else and see if it still trips. If
not there is something wrong with the limelite and discard it. For the
poster who did not know what a limelite is they are a flat green nightlite
with no bulb. Really nice item that can be found in almost any store these
days.

oups.com...

Old March 5th 05, 01:10 AM
The Real Tom

On 4 Mar 2005 04:01:37 -0800, "nr" wrote:

I have a GFCI outlet that will run fine for days than trip. Attempts
to reset fail, but the next day it will reset OK then stay on for about
a week. I replaced the first GFCI outlet with a new one with the same
results.

The only loads on the circuit when it fails are two Limelight
nightlights (not a lot of draw).

Any ideas what might be causing this to happen and/or how to correct?

Where is this gfci located? And where are the wires routed, ie,
basement, outside wall, etc....

later,

tom
Old March 5th 05, 01:10 AM
The Real Tom

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 07:42:16 -0700, "SQLit"
wrote:

"nr" wrote in message
roups.com...
I have a GFCI outlet that will run fine for days than trip. Attempts
to reset fail, but the next day it will reset OK then stay on for about
a week. I replaced the first GFCI outlet with a new one with the same
results.

The only loads on the circuit when it fails are two Limelight
nightlights (not a lot of draw).

Any ideas what might be causing this to happen and/or how to correct?

I have no clue what a limelight is. Remove the limelight's and see if the
problem goes away.

Limelight, like this blueone, lime green color.

http://images.lowes.com/product/0706...d=158&cvt=jpeg

hth,

tom @ www.MedicalJobList.com

Old March 5th 05, 01:18 PM
nr

Thanks for the responses. The GFCI receptacle is in a bathroom. When
it is working, I've run a heater with no problems. The wires are run
through the attic. I spoke with my electric company yesterday and was
advised it might be a loose ground connection and that maybe it only
happened after a heavy rain. I don't remember the previous conditions
but Thursday we had heavy rains and the GFCI tripped and wouldn't
reset, but Friday afternoon, after things had dried out, it reset fine.
Now I have to find where the ground connection is.

Old March 5th 05, 02:20 PM
Dave Morrison

nr wrote:
Thanks for the responses. The GFCI receptacle is in a bathroom. When
it is working, I've run a heater with no problems. The wires are run
through the attic. I spoke with my electric company yesterday and was
advised it might be a loose ground connection and that maybe it only
happened after a heavy rain. I don't remember the previous conditions
but Thursday we had heavy rains and the GFCI tripped and wouldn't
reset, but Friday afternoon, after things had dried out, it reset fine.
Now I have to find where the ground connection is.

The GFI is probably protecting some other outlets down stream, very
common. The rain problem makes me suspect that is protecting an outdoor
receptacle. Check your outdoor outlets, if you find one with no power
make it rain proof.
Dave