DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   sliding closet door over laminate - help! (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/93380-sliding-closet-door-over-laminate-help.html)

Howie February 28th 05 06:00 AM

sliding closet door over laminate - help!

I am installing laminate flooring in our kitchen, main hallway and front
entrance (where the closet is)... The closet has mirror sliding doors, with
the track on both the top and bottom... my questions:

Can I drill holes in the laminate for the bottom sliding track? I plan on
making the holes 1/2" in diameter so the flooring can still move (float)
underneath. The bottom sliding track would cover these larger holes.

Am I thinking the right way? What kind of screw/hardware would I use for the
bottom sliding track into the sub floor?

Any suggestions / tips / comments / advice?

Howie

Mikepier February 28th 05 02:34 PM

I don't think you have to go through the trouble of drilling 1/2" holes
to make the floor float. It's just closet doors. If you ever want to
change something in the future you'll have those holes exposed and have
to fill them in. I would drill a pilot hole and then use regular #6 or
#8 wood screws.You should be fine. Just take into account the height
difference you'll have now with the mirror doors now that you put
laminate flooring down. It should not make a difference anyway if you
can adjust the rollers on the doors.

Harry K February 28th 05 04:23 PM

Howie wrote:
I am installing laminate flooring in our kitchen, main hallway and

front
entrance (where the closet is)... The closet has mirror sliding

doors, with
the track on both the top and bottom... my questions:

Can I drill holes in the laminate for the bottom sliding track? I

plan on
making the holes 1/2" in diameter so the flooring can still move

(float)
underneath. The bottom sliding track would cover these larger holes.

Am I thinking the right way? What kind of screw/hardware would I use

for the
bottom sliding track into the sub floor?

Any suggestions / tips / comments / advice?

Howie

Should be fine. Good that you are thinking about allowing the required
'float'. It may not be needed if the closet faces a narrow strip of
flooring such as a hallway as there should be enought room on the other
side to allow for expansion. As for screws, the same type you pulled
only a bit longer will be fine.

Harry K

[email protected] February 28th 05 05:02 PM

Harry K wrote:
Howie wrote:
[...]

The front entrance directly in front of the closet is only 4 feet in
length... so i might not have to worry about expansion/contraction in
the closet/front entrance along that short distance?

Howie

Harry K March 1st 05 04:55 PM

wrote:
Harry K wrote:
Howie wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure. If it were me, I would allow for the expansion by
oversizing the holes and then reapplying the track by running the
screws down 'snug' but not 'tight'.

Harry K