DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Compressor electrical and autodrain question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/92883-re-compressor-electrical-autodrain-question.html)

Gunner February 27th 05 08:00 PM

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 05:08:58 -0500, "Ross Mac"
wrote:

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Ross Mac" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Ignoramus18224" wrote in message

How much would a good (read reliable) auto drain and a adequately
sized drier set me back?

You do not need an air dryer, unless you are painting.
Graingers auto drain, item number 4KT04, $56.80
Greg

I suspect he *will* need a dryer. You will notice he has this posted also
on a metalworking NG. If you don't dry the air properly, you will get
water out of your air guns and water into any machine tools you connect.
That was the biggest destructive force I saw in the machine tool trade.
Here's the deal. When you compress air the moiture becomes steam. Steam
cannot be filtered out so you need to bring the temperature down of the
air so it can be filtered out. And that is the basic test of an air
dryer...grab both the incoming and outgoing lines and you should see a
noticable temperature difference. The device you recommend would be fine
after the dryer......take care, Ross

Ross, I believe you are assuming here. I have never seen him indicate
ownership of any machine tools. Perhaps he does, but I don't believe so.
But I will agree, if he does have machine tools with any air controls on
them a dryer would be in order. If a person is just using hand held air
tools, a dryer is a bit over kill. Many of the air tools I own have seen
fairly constant use for 25 years with no problems. Just a few drops of oil
once in a while will keep them running fine.
Greg

I don't know about you but I prefer to not have water pouring out of air
guns, air tools or anything else pneumatic. But, too each their own.....Ross

Just as an explaination..I do commercial repair of machine tools. CNC
and manual.

The water/air issue and the requirements have a hell of a lot of
variables. The #1 being...how humid is your outside air? I work in
the Southwest, which includes Aridzona and the beaches of California.

Many many of those locations have so little moisture in the air..that
virtually no appreciable amounts of water will build up in a days
time, others need special treatment for water build up in a few
Minutes.

Ive a shop in Costa Mesa (Newport Beach) California, that HAS to have
driers, down drops, coallescing filters, coolers/chillers and
bleeders because if they dont..the air system will collect at least 5
Gallons of water per hour. During the winter months..it was the norm
to pick up an air hose and shoot a 1/4" stream of water from any air
hose every 30 minutes.
On the other hand..Ive a shop in Chandler Arizona that has a single
coalescing filter 20 foot from the compresser than needs to be drained
every other day.

So one cannot make blanket statements that one has to have, or doesnt
need driers, etc etc. My home shop for example, in the summer months
may...may... collect a gallon of water a month. In the winter during
fog season, may collect that during a day. California High Desert.

So I get by quite nicely with a self draining water trap at the end of
a 50' hose that connects my remote compressor to the system. The tank
itself has a homebrew auto-drain.

Its very location specific.

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)

Ross Mac February 27th 05 08:22 PM

wrote:

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Ross Mac" wrote in message

"Greg O" wrote in message

[...]

Can't argue too much with that!....Though I would suspect that most of the
country would require a dryer at least part of the year. No doubt the
deserts of California, Arizona and even Nevada might be OK most of the time.
I am curious...if you repair CNC's doesn't water cause you corosion and
seizure problems with air bearings....Of course I am assuming here that
there *are* air bearings on your equipment.......Oh well....this got covered
pretty well in all the posts and most of them have something valuable to add
including your own.....take care Gunner, Ross

Greg O February 28th 05 12:32 AM

"Ignoramus10062" wrote in message

Thank you. It is a pleasant thing to own. Regarding taking care of the
compressor, would it be proper to say that oil needs to be changed
when it becomes dark?

Also, the motor has a grease gun adaptor. How often should I grease
it?

I am now draining moisture, it is a clear liquid, but OMG, there is a
lot of it in the tank! (at least a pint has dripped by now, still
dripping).

In your case I would change the oil once a year, probably too often, but oil
is cheap. If the oil is dark, you waited too long! It would probably be a
good idea to change it now, as you probably don't know when it was changed
last.

The motor I would give it one pump once a year at the most. I service motors
that run 4000 hours a year that we lube once a year. Probably once now and
again in three or four years would be sufficient!

A pint of water in a 80 gallon tank is nothing to be worried about. At the
machine shop I worked at I would drain the tanks everyday and get close to a
gallon in the summer time.

The auto drain from Grainger would be a great idea. Almost nobody remembers
to drain the tank as often as they should! The drain from Grainger freaked
me out a bit as it will drain when it sees fit to, not dependant on the
compressor cycling. When I first put it on I would be out in the quiet
garage and all of a sudden the loud hiss! The first time it happened I was
trying to figure out what broke, then it closed again!
Greg

Greg O February 28th 05 12:44 AM

"Gunner" wrote in message

So one cannot make blanket statements that one has to have, or doesnt
need driers, etc etc. My home shop for example, in the summer months
may...may... collect a gallon of water a month. In the winter during
fog season, may collect that during a day. California High Desert.

Yup!
My point exactly.
Depends on use and location.
If you are blowing up bicycle tires for the kids, or driving an impact
wrench once a month or so, a dryer is a luxury. If you have some precision,
or expensive equipment that NEEDS dry air to survive, then it is a
requirement.
Greg

Gunner February 28th 05 06:54 AM

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:22:37 -0500, "Ross Mac"
wrote:

Can't argue too much with that!....Though I would suspect that most of the
country would require a dryer at least part of the year. No doubt the
deserts of California, Arizona and even Nevada might be OK most of the time.
I am curious...if you repair CNC's doesn't water cause you corosion and
seizure problems with air bearings....Of course I am assuming here that
there *are* air bearings on your equipment.......Oh well....this got covered
pretty well in all the posts and most of them have something valuable to add
including your own.....take care Gunner, Ross

Yes..water can be a serious problem with air bearings, or more likely,
air purged bearings. Its not due to the amount of water that the
bearings may run in..heat of the bearings tends to keep them dry, or
the water may be displaced by the oil/air misting lube systems.

The problem generally is long term and is a result of the machine
being shut down over a holiday, or a long weekend, or even a slow
period. Then the bearings rust like a *******, and when the the
machine is turned on again...shrug.

If you would like to look at what water in a spindle cartridge looks
like, Ive got a series of pictures of one that was shut down over a
christmas holiday, after the air purge filled the cartridge with
water. They are on one of my drives, Ill dig em out.

Gunner February 28th 05 06:54 AM

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:44:00 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

So one cannot make blanket statements that one has to have, or doesnt
need driers, etc etc. My home shop for example, in the summer months
may...may... collect a gallon of water a month. In the winter during
fog season, may collect that during a day. California High Desert.

Yup!
My point exactly.
Depends on use and location.
If you are blowing up bicycle tires for the kids, or driving an impact
wrench once a month or so, a dryer is a luxury. If you have some precision,
or expensive equipment that NEEDS dry air to survive, then it is a
requirement.
Greg

But..but ONLY if you have a wet air problem in the first place.

Ross Mac February 28th 05 11:47 AM

wrote:

[...]

Seen it many times! and you are correct....Ross

PrecisionMachinisT March 1st 05 04:22 AM

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:44:00 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

So one cannot make blanket statements that one has to have, or doesnt
need driers, etc etc. My home shop for example, in the summer months
may...may... collect a gallon of water a month. In the winter during
fog season, may collect that during a day. California High Desert.

Yup!
My point exactly.
Depends on use and location.
If you are blowing up bicycle tires for the kids, or driving an impact
wrench once a month or so, a dryer is a luxury. If you have some

precision,
or expensive equipment that NEEDS dry air to survive, then it is a
requirement.
Greg

But..but ONLY if you have a wet air problem in the first place.

Like we sometimes get up here--I can get several gallon (s) a day under the
'right' conditions.........

--

SVL