DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   fasten sink to a 2" tile counter (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/92839-fasten-sink-2%22-tile-counter.html)

a guest February 25th 05 03:19 PM

fasten sink to a 2" tile counter

I am trying to fasten the sink to a 2" granite tile counter.
I have a 3/4" plywood, one 1/2" and one 1/4" hardiback under
the granite tiles. All 4 layers have the same size opening.
So the opening is 2" thick.

Now the fasteners that come with the sinks are designed for
1" or less thick counters. I can't seem to fasten the sink
to the counter. Is there a way around this? I can't find longer
fasteners for the sink.

Now if I do this again, I would cut the granite tiles 1/2" less
so fasteners can attach to them at the edge.

Robert Allison February 25th 05 03:34 PM

a guest wrote:

I am trying to fasten the sink to a 2" granite tile counter.
I have a 3/4" plywood, one 1/2" and one 1/4" hardiback under
the granite tiles. All 4 layers have the same size opening.
So the opening is 2" thick.

Now the fasteners that come with the sinks are designed for
1" or less thick counters. I can't seem to fasten the sink
to the counter. Is there a way around this? I can't find longer
fasteners for the sink.

Now if I do this again, I would cut the granite tiles 1/2" less
so fasteners can attach to them at the edge.

You can find sink clips for just about any thickness. I found some
for a concrete countertop that was 3" thick. You have to go to a
real plumbing supply, not home despot.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

a guest February 25th 05 06:29 PM

Robert Allison wrote:
a guest wrote:

I am trying to fasten the sink to a 2" granite tile counter.
I have a 3/4" plywood, one 1/2" and one 1/4" hardiback under
the granite tiles. All 4 layers have the same size opening.
So the opening is 2" thick.

Now the fasteners that come with the sinks are designed for
1" or less thick counters. I can't seem to fasten the sink
to the counter. Is there a way around this? I can't find longer
fasteners for the sink.

Now if I do this again, I would cut the granite tiles 1/2" less
so fasteners can attach to them at the edge.

You can find sink clips for just about any thickness. I found some for
a concrete countertop that was 3" thick. You have to go to a real
plumbing supply, not home despot.

Thanks. The problem is there is not many plumbing stores around
for non contractors. I guess I have to check the yellow pages.
There are a lot of HomeDepos and Lowes open during the evening/weekend.

John McGaw February 25th 05 09:23 PM

a guest wrote:
I am trying to fasten the sink to a 2" granite tile counter.
I have a 3/4" plywood, one 1/2" and one 1/4" hardiback under
the granite tiles. All 4 layers have the same size opening.
So the opening is 2" thick.

Now the fasteners that come with the sinks are designed for
1" or less thick counters. I can't seem to fasten the sink
to the counter. Is there a way around this? I can't find longer
fasteners for the sink.

Now if I do this again, I would cut the granite tiles 1/2" less
so fasteners can attach to them at the edge.

If you cannot find the proper clips then you MAY be able to cut a rebate
(rabbet) into the lowest layer of supporting material with a router to
allow the existing clips to fit. This will weaken the mounting just a
bit but since a top-mount sinks will be pretty well glued into place by
the caulking that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Actually I'm surprised that there is a problem though -- the coutertops
I built have 3/4" ply sandwiched with 1/2" ply sandwiched with
backerboard and then covered with ceramic tile and the standard clips
that came with the Koehler cast iron sink fit with no problem.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Matt February 25th 05 09:48 PM

Visiting construction sites from time to time will allow you to build
up an invaluable inventory of nails, many of which are ideally suited
to a job such as this.

Mike February 26th 05 12:36 AM

a guest wrote:

I am trying to fasten the sink to a 2" granite tile counter.
I have a 3/4" plywood, one 1/2" and one 1/4" hardiback under
the granite tiles. All 4 layers have the same size opening.
So the opening is 2" thick.

Now the fasteners that come with the sinks are designed for
1" or less thick counters. I can't seem to fasten the sink
to the counter. Is there a way around this? I can't find longer
fasteners for the sink.

Now if I do this again, I would cut the granite tiles 1/2" less
so fasteners can attach to them at the edge.

Try going the Ace hardware. I found some different size ones there
when I increased the tile counter thickness for a bathroom, when I
added tiles to a laminated counter-top - but kept the sink.