DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electrical questions (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/92694-electrical-questions.html)

JackRabbit February 24th 05 04:50 PM

Electrical questions

Pulling wire questions.... newbie questions. basement remodel

1. The bottom of my outlet box is a hammer length which is about 12"-13" or
so. The holes above the box that i am pulling are at 25". Is this too
high for the hole? Is there a limit ?? I am going to run another line just
above the 25" hole at about 28" to get the wire to another room. It seems
like the cleanest way to do it.

2. I have a situation where my top plate is connected to a floor joist
lengthwise. I need to get the wire from a switchbox up to the ceiling for a
light fixture. I am not sure how I can run the wire without notching the
joist, or drilling a hole in the top plate into the floor joist.

Duane Bozarth February 24th 05 05:07 PM

JackRabbit wrote:

Pulling wire questions.... newbie questions. basement remodel

1. The bottom of my outlet box is a hammer length which is about 12"-13" or
so. The holes above the box that i am pulling are at 25". Is this too
high for the hole? Is there a limit ?? I am going to run another line just
above the 25" hole at about 28" to get the wire to another room. It seems
like the cleanest way to do it.

2. I have a situation where my top plate is connected to a floor joist
lengthwise. I need to get the wire from a switchbox up to the ceiling for a
light fixture. I am not sure how I can run the wire without notching the
joist, or drilling a hole in the top plate into the floor joist.

1. You can route the wire whatever is convenient...just tack it within
the code distance of the box. Typically one tries to make the runs to
conserve wire, but if there are other reasons overriding...

2. Bad layout plan... :) But, a 2x4 top plate on a 2xX joist leaves
3-1/2 less 1-1/2 == ~ 2" clearance to get the wire through the top
plate. If you put the plate flush to one side of the joist and need the
wire in the other cavity, run it up through the plate then through the
joist...the hole through the joist should be near the middle, not at the
top or bottom edge...

JackRabbit February 24th 05 05:49 PM

I agree with the bad layout plan.
Can I run two 12 gauge nm wires through a 3/4" hole ?? This way, I can
backtrack a little and avoid the joist problem.

SQLit February 24th 05 05:51 PM

"JackRabbit" wrote in message
Pulling wire questions.... newbie questions. basement remodel

1. The bottom of my outlet box is a hammer length which is about 12"-13"

or
so. The holes above the box that i am pulling are at 25". Is this too
high for the hole? Is there a limit ?? I am going to run another line

just
above the 25" hole at about 28" to get the wire to another room. It seems
like the cleanest way to do it.

2. I have a situation where my top plate is connected to a floor joist
lengthwise. I need to get the wire from a switchbox up to the ceiling for

light fixture. I am not sure how I can run the wire without notching the
joist, or drilling a hole in the top plate into the floor joist.

1. I have not a clue what your talking about.

2. notching/drilling floor joists is always a bad idea especially in mid
span. IMO. If this is structural connection it should be a double top
plate. If it is a single plate then the wall is not supporting the floor
joist.

Consider running the wire horizontally closer to the ends of the floor joist
then....
You could drill up from the plate at an angle to get into accessable space
to run the wire. Use as small a hole as you can.

Duane Bozarth February 24th 05 05:57 PM

JackRabbit wrote:

I agree with the bad layout plan.
Can I run two 12 gauge nm wires through a 3/4" hole ?? This way, I can
backtrack a little and avoid the joist problem.

Through a joist there's no code limitation--simply the practicality of
the pull. Two 12/2 will go pretty easily, 2-12/3's probably pretty
tight...what's the big problem w/ drilling one or two holes where you
need them?

Doug Miller February 24th 05 07:22 PM

In article ftoTd.9301$7z6.5443@lakeread04, "JackRabbit" wrote:
I agree with the bad layout plan.
Can I run two 12 gauge nm wires through a 3/4" hole ?? This way, I can
backtrack a little and avoid the joist problem.

Yes. Two 12-2 NM cables will fit snugly through a 5/8" hole, and easily
through a 3/4" or larger hole.

--
Regards,