DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hot light fixture spheres (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/92581-hot-light-fixture-spheres.html)

BARRY MARTIN February 22nd 05 02:43 PM

Hot light fixture spheres

*
Meirman:

M Will drilling holes at the top of an otherwise sealed sphere
M encourage air circulation and make a light bulb run cooler?

M I have a lot of light fixtures that use spherical glass globes to
M cover the bulb. There is no air circulation from inside the
M sphere to outside, and if I put in a high wattage bulb, it burns
M out quickly, I think.

M One is a "chandlier", at least it hangs from the ceiling with a
M chain, with a glass globe 8 inches in diameter with a 4 inch
M opening at the top. Because it is not closely attached to the
M ceiling, I could drill holes in the metal part at the top,
M without weakening it. But if all the holes are at the top, would
M that make it run any cooler?

M This fixture has a dimmer, and I'd like to use a 150 or 200 watt
M bulb, running it at 70 watt brightness most of the time.

Don't know the answer to your specific question -- it sounds
semi-logical additional ventilation would cool the bulb better, but then
the filament is running white-hot so the bulb, socket, etc., should be
designed to operate at this hot temperature.

My concern is your proposal to use a 150 or 200 watt bulb. Is the
fixture designed for a bulb of this wattage? Many sockets have a lable
indicating the maximum wattage. It might be a good idea to replace the
socket with one designed for the higher wattage.

... Without electricity we would still be in the dark ages.
--- MultiMail/Win32 v0.46
þ wcECHO 4.2 ÷ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
þ * RelayNet(tm): CamCat (#3041): Telnet: bbs.camcat.com www.camcat.com