john

Default Advice for new swimming pool filter? Zeolite?

I thought I would start early and do some research for replacing my
existing pool filter.

I currently have a de type filter which I find a royal pia to keep
clean and maintained properly, but its filtering qualities surpass that
of standard sand filters. However, I have been reading about a mineral
substance called Zeolite which can be used in place of the standard
sand in the sand filters. This stuff supposedly provides as good as a
filtration media as de, without the mess. It also has the added
benefits of being able to reduce ammonia waste and use less backwash
time to clean. If anyone out there has any experience with using
Zeolite in their filters, I would appreciate it if you would pass along
your experiences.

TIA

John

Rich

"john" wrote in message
oups.com...
I thought I would start early and do some research for replacing my
existing pool filter.

I currently have a de type filter which I find a royal pia to keep
clean and maintained properly, but its filtering qualities surpass that
of standard sand filters. However, I have been reading about a mineral
substance called Zeolite which can be used in place of the standard
sand in the sand filters. This stuff supposedly provides as good as a
filtration media as de, without the mess. It also has the added
benefits of being able to reduce ammonia waste and use less backwash
time to clean. If anyone out there has any experience with using
Zeolite in their filters, I would appreciate it if you would pass along
your experiences.

TIA

John

My pool filter is made of paper and lasts 3-5 years, I rinse it off when the
pressure gets above 20psi on the tank. No problems yet and my pool (when
it's open) is very clear.
Rich

john

Thanks for the input. I think that is the way I'll go. Have been
pricing sand filters to replace my old de filter. I also understand
you use only half the manufacturers requirement when using Zeolite than
you would normally use for conventional sand. It is also
environmentally safe,lasts longer than regular sand, and does not need
to be backwashed as often. Nice pluses.

John

ZsaZsa wrote:
I converted to Zeolite last summer. We use Baquacil/Swim Soft

sanitizer,
which is reputed to be difficult to keep clear after a few years.

This was
the 7th year with the Baquacil and our water sparkled all summer.

Much,
much easier maintenance with the Zeolite, and we did find it to be

true that
we needed fewer chemical treatments. That was the first year of

use
though, we'll have to see how it works out this summer, as we're not
planning on replacing it.