Default Troubleshooting new digital thermostat: no heat!

Hi,

Have a 1926 San Francisco home with a Carrier WeatherMaker 8000 gas
furnace heating system installed. We wanted to update the old mercury
thermostat with a digital programable one, mostly to avoid having one
person wake up early, turn on the heat, and come back to bed every
morning.

We purchased a Honeywell RTH7400D unit (5+1+1). Now I'm feeling like
an idiot because I can't get the damn thing to turn our heat on!

The old set was very simple: two wires connected. One to "R" and the
other to "4". The manual says to remove the jumper between RC/R and
install the two wires with "R" = "RC" and "4" = "R". Done. Doesn't
work. Hook the old up and it works fine. Bump the wires together and
it works fine.

Tried different settings and adjustments to no avail. I hear the
internal 'click' when the Honeywell turns "on". But it doesn't start
the heat unit.

Does anyone have any ideas??? I'm feeling pretty incompetent as my
wife's girlfriend took her new thermostat and two wires and was hooked
up and running within 30 minutes.

There are two wires running to the mercury from the "R" spot on the old
thermostat if that makes any difference.....

-JC-

Jerry G.

I am not too familiar with your exact model. Some of these require a
compatible system by where the thermostat is working an electronic device,
rather than a hard contact relay, which may be required or your particular
heating system. You would be best to contact Honeywell, and also the
manufacture of your furnace to know about any possible details for
compatibility with their thermostat, and your model of furnace.

The only other thing I can see, is that the thermostat you have may be
defective.

--

Jerry G.
======

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Oscar_Lives

wrote in message
[...]

Try asking these folks:

Honeywell International Inc.
101 Columbia Road
Morristown, NJ 07962
Phone: (973) 455-2000
Fax: (973) 455-4807

We are estatic that we now have programable heat! Thank you so much,
Travis! I'd really love to know *why* Honeywell shows it differently
but I won't ask per your instructions. :-)

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Adjusting aux heat threshold Steve Home Ownership 0 January 28th 04 08:12 PM
heat pump ZsaZsa Home Repair 26 January 26th 04 03:23 PM
replaced thermostat, EM/Aux always on. Giles Harney Home Ownership 0 January 19th 04 08:40 PM
RUUD Heat Pump Thermostat Replacement -How? Jimmy Home Repair 0 October 19th 03 10:08 PM