Walter R.

Default Caulking aluminum gutters

My aluminum gutters are leaking where they are joined at corners. What kind
of caulk works best to fill and waterproof the joints, preferably while they
are wet.

Thanks

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net
-

Edwin Pawlowski

"Walter R." wrote in message
My aluminum gutters are leaking where they are joined at corners. What
kind of caulk works best to fill and waterproof the joints, preferably
while they are wet.

Thanks

Nothing will work well when it is wet. When it dries out use silicone
caulk.

Roger T.

"Walter R." wrote in message
My aluminum gutters are leaking where they are joined at corners. What
kind of caulk works best to fill and waterproof the joints, preferably
while they are wet.

Nothing much sets well when surface is wet, outside of roof repair goop.
Use either silicone sealant (not paintable kind), or polyurthane gutter and
downspout caulk. Both require dry and clean surfaces.

TURTLE

"Walter R." wrote in message
My aluminum gutters are leaking where they are joined at corners. What kind of
caulk works best to fill and waterproof the joints, preferably while they are
wet.

Thanks

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net
-

This is turtle.

Like Roger said Polyurthane caulking sold at walmarts and other places for
repair of flashing of sheetmetal roof joints and seams. The Good stuff will sell
for about $3.00+ or so. Now this Urthane stuff says it will take in wet areas
but you really need to dry it , clean it, and make it set real good and not test
the product and your luck also.

TURTLE

DanG

I agree with others that the gutter must be dry to repair
effectively.

IMHO absolutely do not use silicone. Butyl rubber makes an
excellent caulk for gutter and sheet metal joints. I would
deliberately remove the pop rivets and open the joint. Smearing
caulk on the top of the seam is temporary at best.

If you want to install something without opening the joint, or if
you have actual holes in the gutter material, I have had good
success with the following:
http://www.steels.com/pdf/vicryl-cp10.pdf

I actually use the cp11 with fiberglass reinforcement cloth.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Walter R." wrote in message
My aluminum gutters are leaking where they are joined at
corners. What kind of caulk works best to fill and waterproof
the joints, preferably while they are wet.

Thanks

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast
www.rationality.net
-

Edwin Pawlowski

"DanG" wrote in message
I agree with others that the gutter must be dry to repair effectively.

IMHO absolutely do not use silicone.

Why? That would have been my first choice..

DanG

I have removed literally miles of failed silicone caulk. The one
possible exception might be Dow 795. Grab one end of the silicone
and peel it off the joint. I am sometimes glad that others have
used the silicone, it sure makes cleaning the joint out easier.
Try removing butyl, thiokol, or urethane.

Successful use of silicone requires primers, proper joint
preparation, and skill on the part of the installer. 3 point
adhesion will destroy any caulk joint, but silicone in particular.

(top posted for your convenience)
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message