DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Home Workbench Built From The 2X4 Basics Company Legs: Opinions On ? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/92039-home-workbench-built-2x4-basics-company-legs-opinions.html)

Robert11 February 19th 05 06:16 PM

Home Workbench Built From The 2X4 Basics Company Legs: Opinions On ?

Hello:

Was thinking of purchasing the kit from the 2X4 Basics company that has 4
plastic reinforced
legs (appear to be quite strong from pix ?) to be used in constructing a
home work bench.

You supply the 2x4's that bind the legs together, as well as a table top.

The legs look very well made, and it seems that this would perhaps be a
better
approach than using two saw-horses for supports, or possibly building the
whole thing
out of a bunch of 2x4's

Sells for about $65

Anyone ever use them ?
Opinions ?

Thanks,
Bob

Joseph Meehan February 19th 05 06:34 PM

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Was thinking of purchasing the kit from the 2X4 Basics company that
has 4 plastic reinforced
legs (appear to be quite strong from pix ?) to be used in
constructing a home work bench.

Why bother. For a few dollars and a few minutes, you can build on
stronger from just 2X4's and a few nails. I have built several, all very
solid and last forever.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Tim February 19th 05 06:39 PM

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Was thinking of purchasing the kit from the 2X4 Basics company that has 4
plastic reinforced
legs (appear to be quite strong from pix ?) to be used in constructing a
home work bench.

You supply the 2x4's that bind the legs together, as well as a table top.

The legs look very well made, and it seems that this would perhaps be a
better
approach than using two saw-horses for supports, or possibly building the
whole thing
out of a bunch of 2x4's

Sells for about $65

Anyone ever use them ?
Opinions ?

Thanks,
Bob

I've used their shelf kit which I believe uses the same bracket. Shelves
came out very strong and it was easy to build.

For a workbench, I used a kit from Simpson Strong-tie that uses metal
brackets. It too was strong and easy to build. Quite a bit cheaper too
IIRC!

Tim

Edwin Pawlowski February 19th 05 08:10 PM

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Was thinking of purchasing the kit from the 2X4 Basics company that has 4
plastic reinforced
legs (appear to be quite strong from pix ?) to be used in constructing a
home work bench.

You buy a work bench to work on. That mean you are handyman type of guy,
right? Build one. Amazing how nice you can with a couple of 2 x 4's, a few
1 x 6's for the frame and a sheet of 3/4" birch plywood. The pride of doing
it yourself far outweighs any cost involved. Email me if you want a picture
of mine.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/