DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   High Electric Bill (Problems?) (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/91881-high-electric-bill-problems.html)

Chuck Conner February 19th 05 12:48 AM

High Electric Bill (Problems?)

I have been having extremely higher than normal electric bills. We live in a
retirement village. I was talking to my neighbor, and he told me I may have
an electric leak. He also recommended a remedy to contain the electricity
leaking from outlets. He took me in his home to show me these plastic plugs
which plug into the outlets. A couple of questions on this.

1. Do these really work?

2. From your experience, how much can one expect to save monthly on your
electric bill?

Chuck

bumtracks February 19th 05 12:54 AM

Depends - how many outlet you got ?

Chuck Conner February 19th 05 01:01 AM

Thank you, but do you know the typical average savings? The fellows that do
our snowplowing/shoveling and yard maintenance have sold thousands to the
residents here. I would like to place my order the next time they are
around.

Edwin Pawlowski February 19th 05 01:12 AM

"Chuck Conner" wrote in message
I have been having extremely higher than normal electric bills. We live in
retirement village. I was talking to my neighbor, and he told me I may
have
an electric leak. He also recommended a remedy to contain the electricity
leaking from outlets. He took me in his home to show me these plastic
plugs
which plug into the outlets. A couple of questions on this.

1. Do these really work?

2. From your experience, how much can one expect to save monthly on your
electric bill?

Chuck

Hi Chucky

How is school? Is it fun being in the fifth grade? Pretty soon you will be
old enough to masturbate and that will be even more fun than playing on
mommy's computer.

Unknown February 19th 05 02:50 AM

Its not gonna save you anything.. Have you checked your air filter to make
sure
it is not plugged. This can cause the ac/heat to run more than needed.

effi February 19th 05 03:32 AM

the electricity leak is into the pockets of the energy company higher ups,
like ken lay

take heart though, 5 percent of the power that goes into the electric grid
winds up at it's intended destination, only 95% is lost in transmission

Edwin Pawlowski February 19th 05 04:03 AM

"TRN" wrote in message
It always amazes me how seemingly intelligent human beings can interject
their deepest sexual experiences into home repair subjects.

But it is not a home repair subject, it is a TROLL.

PrecisionMachinisT February 19th 05 06:41 AM

"Chuck Conner" wrote in message
I have been having extremely higher than normal electric bills. We live in

retirement village. I was talking to my neighbor, and he told me I may

have
an electric leak.

Certainly an electric leak is entirely possible.......

The bigger question is have you yet determined exactly where it is this
electricity is supposedly leaking to ???

--

SVL

TURTLE February 19th 05 07:00 AM

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Chuck Conner" wrote in message
I have been having extremely higher than normal electric bills. We live in

retirement village. I was talking to my neighbor, and he told me I may

have
an electric leak.

Certainly an electric leak is entirely possible.......

The bigger question is have you yet determined exactly where it is this
electricity is supposedly leaking to ???

--

SVL

This is Turtle.

I can't believe you don't know where the Lesstricity is getting out when you can
see the holes right there in the receptical. all you have to do is get you tube
of caulking and seal them up and i bet your electric bill will fall for sure.

TURTLE

David Efflandt February 19th 05 07:20 AM

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:48:59 GMT, Chuck Conner wrote:
I have been having extremely higher than normal electric bills. We live in a
retirement village. I was talking to my neighbor, and he told me I may have
an electric leak. He also recommended a remedy to contain the electricity
leaking from outlets. He took me in his home to show me these plastic plugs
which plug into the outlets. A couple of questions on this.

1. Do these really work?

Only for keeping children from sticking things in the light sockets.

2. From your experience, how much can one expect to save monthly on your
electric bill?

Number of children saved depends upon how many and often your
grandchildren visit. Electrical savings would be zero.

Are you a troll or serious?

[email protected] February 19th 05 11:06 AM

effi wrote:

...5 percent of the power that goes into the electric grid
winds up at it's intended destination, only 95% is lost in transmission

No. About 50% of the fuel's heat energy becomes electrical energy. The
other 50% goes up a cooling tower, And 30% ends up at the destination,
where a clever homeowner with a heat pump can turn it back into 100% :-)

Cleverer homeowners burn the fuel at home, with no cooling tower...

Nick

Ross Mac February 19th 05 11:39 AM

"Chuck Conner" wrote in message
I have been having extremely higher than normal electric bills. We live in
retirement village. I was talking to my neighbor, and he told me I may
have
an electric leak. He also recommended a remedy to contain the electricity
leaking from outlets. He took me in his home to show me these plastic
plugs
which plug into the outlets. A couple of questions on this.

1. Do these really work?

2. From your experience, how much can one expect to save monthly on your
electric bill?

Chuck

I smell TROLL...............

frank-in-toronto February 19th 05 12:53 PM

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 06:39:14 -0500, "Ross Mac"
wrote:

"Chuck Conner" wrote in message
I have been having extremely higher than normal electric bills. We live in
retirement village. I was talking to my neighbor, and he told me I may
have
an electric leak. He also recommended a remedy to contain the electricity
leaking from outlets. He took me in his home to show me these plastic
plugs
which plug into the outlets. A couple of questions on this.

1. Do these really work?

2. From your experience, how much can one expect to save monthly on your
electric bill?

I smell TROLL...............

i think someone's just having some fun.
....thehick

Alan February 19th 05 01:18 PM

"Chuck Conner" wrote in message
I have been having extremely higher than normal electric bills. We live in

retirement village. I was talking to my neighbor, and he told me I may

have
an electric leak. He also recommended a remedy to contain the electricity
leaking from outlets. He took me in his home to show me these plastic

plugs
which plug into the outlets. A couple of questions on this.

1. Do these really work?

2. From your experience, how much can one expect to save monthly on your
electric bill?

Chuck

A bigger problem is the amount of electricity left over in wires after you
unplug things- like the vacuum cleaner, for example. If you leave things
plugged in, the electricity can't leak out of the outlets, plus the
electricity that would otherwise be left over in the wires gets recycled.
Another option is to place extension cords in front of each outlet. That
way, as the electricity leaks out, it will take the path of least
resistence, and find its way into the extension cords, where it will be
ready to go next time you need to use one.

Edwin Pawlowski February 19th 05 02:26 PM

"Alan" wrote in message

Another option is to place extension cords in front of each outlet. That
way, as the electricity leaks out, it will take the path of least
resistence, and find its way into the extension cords, where it will be
ready to go next time you need to use one.

Get the 100 foot ones and you can fill them up to use on camping trips.

Alan February 19th 05 05:23 PM

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"Alan" wrote in message

Another option is to place extension cords in front of each outlet. That
way, as the electricity leaks out, it will take the path of least
resistence, and find its way into the extension cords, where it will be
ready to go next time you need to use one.

Get the 100 foot ones and you can fill them up to use on camping trips.

Great idea! The heavy duty ones would hold even more.

bumtracks February 19th 05 11:06 PM

Cost money to fill up power cords too you know.

Get them caps, Electricity always flows to ground,
runs out on the carpet and sticks. That's Static Electricity.
Sometimes it piles up as high as your pockets,
and fills them up too .. touch a doorknob zap,
Door knobs open/close just like a switch, sometimes.

JerryMouse February 20th 05 03:19 AM

Chuck Conner wrote:
I have been having extremely higher than normal electric bills. We
live in a retirement village. I was talking to my neighbor, and he
told me I may have an electric leak. He also recommended a remedy to
contain the electricity leaking from outlets. He took me in his home
to show me these plastic plugs which plug into the outlets. A couple
of questions on this.

1. Do these really work?

2. From your experience, how much can one expect to save monthly on
your electric bill?

Chuck

You could achieve more savings by simply unplugging your clocks when not in
use.

Gary Stone February 20th 05 04:23 AM

"JerryMouse" wrote in message
Chuck Conner wrote:
I have been having extremely higher than normal electric bills. We
live in a retirement village. I was talking to my neighbor, and he
told me I may have an electric leak. He also recommended a remedy to
contain the electricity leaking from outlets. He took me in his home
to show me these plastic plugs which plug into the outlets. A couple
of questions on this.

1. Do these really work?

2. From your experience, how much can one expect to save monthly on
your electric bill?

Chuck

You could achieve more savings by simply unplugging your clocks when not
in use.

First you need to ascertain whether or not you do in fact have a leak, you
will need two pieces of metal thin enough to fit into the little slits, hold
one in the right hand and one in the left then stick them in there. If you
wake up in heaven or a hospital then you've got a leak. Seriously either
your neighbor is pulling your leg or he's stupid. Those little plastic plugs
are mainly used to keep kids from doing what I just mentioned above. You
don't mention how much higher the bills are, would expect slightly higher
bills in the winter. Especially in Jan and Feb.

Stone

DaveD February 20th 05 04:50 AM

"Alan" wrote in message

Another option is to place extension cords in front of each outlet.
That
way, as the electricity leaks out, it will take the path of least
resistence, and find its way into the extension cords, where it will be
ready to go next time you need to use one.

Get the 100 foot ones and you can fill them up to use on camping trips.

Great idea! The heavy duty ones would hold even more.

Further idea - once you have the extension cord full, plug one end into the
other making a complete loop and the 'lectricity can't get out of your cord.

Dave D

Alan February 20th 05 01:34 PM

"Alan" wrote in message

Another option is to place extension cords in front of each outlet.
That
way, as the electricity leaks out, it will take the path of least
resistence, and find its way into the extension cords, where it will

be
ready to go next time you need to use one.

Get the 100 foot ones and you can fill them up to use on camping trips.

Great idea! The heavy duty ones would hold even more.

Further idea - once you have the extension cord full, plug one end into

the
other making a complete loop and the 'lectricity can't get out of your

cord.

Dave D

Thanks. I should have mentioned that. I just thought it was common sense,
but I guess you can't be too careful on Usenet.

Jim Conway February 20th 05 02:10 PM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"TRN" wrote in message
It always amazes me how seemingly intelligent human beings can

interject
their deepest sexual experiences into home repair subjects.

But it is not a home repair subject, it is a TROLL.

And having to point that out to the idiot really doesn't say much for
those same 'seemingly intelligent beings' that can't figure out the
obvious. Must be true...too much jerking off does make you go blind...