Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bobby_M

Default Main beam being compressed at post locations?

I'm throwing this one out there before I get into trying to fix the
situation in case anyone has encountered this and might offer some
advice.

This is a two story colonial style house built in 1990. From some
general observation and measurement, the center of the house has
settled about 1/2 to 3/4". It can easily be seen at the doorways. I've
found that the cause seems to be the main beam that runs the length of
the house (three sistered 2x12s) is compressing at the posts in the
full basement.

I figured one way to verify the distance of settling would be to use a
water level to compare the floor joist height at the sill to the height
at the beam. I'd repeat this at each joist across the span to get an
overall profile.

One of my major dilemmas is moreso how to correct the problem. Some
initial thoughts were to use jack posts on either side of the permanent
posts to relieve the weight in order to install pieces of angle iron
under the beam at each post perhaps extending 8" in either direction to
distribute the force rather than simply shimming.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem? Is there a way to figure
out if the builder installed enough posts for the span? I'm assuming
the current problem is good reason to assume NOT.

Bobby

Results: renewing fence post for third time Peter Bull UK diy 3 January 23rd 04 02:06 PM
penance for posting OT mel Woodworking 4 January 18th 04 03:27 AM
Wood Question: Which is stronger, a round post or square post? McQualude Woodworking 68 November 16th 03 07:19 AM
Post size for Stickley chest/dresser Eric Anderson Woodworking 2 October 1st 03 10:32 PM
I Beam Bending Like a Pretzel??? Steve Metalworking 6 August 11th 03 03:08 PM