DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electrical question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/91826-electrical-question.html)

JackRabbit February 18th 05 06:47 PM

Electrical question

When running a new 20 amp circuit, I have seen a few sites that say you can
have up to 12+ outlets on the circuit. Dumb question..... Is a duplex
outlet counted as two ?? I know this question sounds nuts, but I can't seem
to find the answer.

Thank you. BTW, this is for a basement remodel.

Matt February 18th 05 06:53 PM

No; Duplex outlet = 1. But I wouldn't put 12 on 1 circuit....

JackRabbit February 18th 05 06:58 PM

I am glad I asked the question. Thanks.

How many would you put on a 20 amp circuit ? 15 amp circuit ?

I actually got these numbers from a book : 10 for 15 amp circuits, 13 for a
20 amp circuit.

"Matt" wrote in message
ps.com...
No; Duplex outlet = 1. But I wouldn't put 12 on 1 circuit....

m Ransley February 18th 05 07:04 PM

What is important is load not the number of outlets.

Andy Hill February 18th 05 07:15 PM

"JackRabbit" wrote:
When running a new 20 amp circuit, I have seen a few sites that say you can
have up to 12+ outlets on the circuit. Dumb question..... Is a duplex
outlet counted as two ?? I know this question sounds nuts, but I can't seem
to find the answer.

Thank you. BTW, this is for a basement remodel.

AFAIK, the NEC doesn't have a limit on the number of outlets on a circuit. As
always, your local codes may vary.

You'll see various outlets / circuit rules of thumb bandied about (the number
varies depending on how many watts / sq ft you want to assume), but 15A circuits
are usually given as 10 to 12, and 20A circuits around 14 to 16.

"Outlets" usually refers to as a place where a load can be plugged in, so
normally a duplex would count as two outlets.

Matt February 18th 05 07:20 PM

Hmmm I guess I should rephrase... I wouldn't put 12 on one circuit ...
on the same floor. Sorry bout that.

toller February 18th 05 07:21 PM

You can do whatever you want. If you expect to using more than a few
outlets at the same time you might want to run more than one circuit cause
you will only have 20a to spread among your 12 outlets. In fact, why not
run a multiwire circuit? You get two circuits by running one cable.

BTW, you know the outlets have to be GFCI.

Ed February 18th 05 07:22 PM

"Matt" wrote

Hmmm I guess I should rephrase... I wouldn't put 12 on one circuit ...
on the same floor. Sorry bout that.

Are you sure?

Ed February 18th 05 07:24 PM

"JackRabbit" wrote in message
When running a new 20 amp circuit, I have seen a few sites that say you
can
have up to 12+ outlets on the circuit. Dumb question..... Is a duplex
outlet counted as two ?? I know this question sounds nuts, but I can't
seem
to find the answer.

Thank you. BTW, this is for a basement remodel.

I'm not an electrician but you may find this useful:
http://www.codecheck.com/numberoutlets.htm

RBM February 18th 05 11:41 PM

In commercial applications, you figure 1.5 amps per outlet or 10 on a 15 amp
circuit and 13 on a 20 amp circuit. In residential wiring its figured by
square foot,but you be the judge by what you are planning to use in the
room. Any outlets in "unfinished" spaces must be GFCI protected

tom February 20th 05 03:55 AM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:47:43 -0500, "JackRabbit"
wrote:

When running a new 20 amp circuit, I have seen a few sites that say you can
have up to 12+ outlets on the circuit. Dumb question..... Is a duplex
outlet counted as two ?? I know this question sounds nuts, but I can't seem
to find the answer.

Thank you. BTW, this is for a basement remodel.

imho:

Per the 2002 NEC codes, not limit to dwelling number of recepticles on
a branch.

For commercial(forgive me don't have the book open right now, so look
this up yourself), I believe the limit is 180 va's per outlet, meaning
1.5 volts or 10 outlets per 15a circuit, and or 13 per 20a circuit.

But personally, I wouldn't answer your dwelling question without
knowing what load you intend on putting on it. Example, if it was a
shop you are wiring, I might just go with one outlet if I knew I was
puting something big by it.

hth,

tom @ www.Love-Calculators.com