Iowa883

Default Material for Shop Walls ?

I own a small motorcycle repair business and I am building a new shop. I was
wondering what to use for the walls ? I am thinking plywood,drywall or
something else. I heard that there is a type of drywall for like bathrooms
or shower stalls, is this correct ? I a am afraid normal drywall would be
too brittle and would absorb moisture.
Thanks,
Iowa883

Edwin Pawlowski

"Iowa883" wrote in message
I own a small motorcycle repair business and I am building a new shop. I
was
wondering what to use for the walls ? I am thinking plywood,drywall or
something else. I heard that there is a type of drywall for like bathrooms
or shower stalls, is this correct ? I a am afraid normal drywall would be
too brittle and would absorb moisture.
Thanks,
Iowa883

There is a board for moist areas. Any drywall or home supply outlet will
have it. As for the plywood, it may not meet building code unless there is
drywall under it. In a shop, plywood is nice in that you have one very
large tool board.

John Gilmer

There is a board for moist areas. Any drywall or home supply outlet will
have it. As for the plywood, it may not meet building code unless there

is
drywall under it. In a shop, plywood is nice in that you have one very
large tool board.

A good thickness of drywall will also let you hang "stuff". Good forbid
but if there is a fire, the wall board will definitely keep in one one side
or the other for a hour.

Iowa883

Do you recall what this board is called and an approx. price per sheet ?
Also what do I have to cover it with to keep it from absorbing and liquid
that gets on it ? Do I have to paint it or seal it ?
Thanks,
Iowa883

"John Gilmer" wrote in message

There is a board for moist areas. Any drywall or home supply outlet will
have it. As for the plywood, it may not meet building code unless there

is
drywall under it. In a shop, plywood is nice in that you have one very
large tool board.

A good thickness of drywall will also let you hang "stuff". Good forbid
but if there is a fire, the wall board will definitely keep in one one

side
or the other for a hour.

Andy Hill

"Iowa883" wrote:
"John Gilmer" wrote in message
There is a board for moist areas. Any drywall or home supply outlet will
have it. As for the plywood, it may not meet building code unless there

is
drywall under it. In a shop, plywood is nice in that you have one very
large tool board.

A good thickness of drywall will also let you hang "stuff". Good forbid
but if there is a fire, the wall board will definitely keep in one one

side
or the other for a hour.

Do you recall what this board is called and an approx. price per sheet ?
Also what do I have to cover it with to keep it from absorbing and liquid
that gets on it ? Do I have to paint it or seal it ?
Thanks,
Iowa883

There's "greenboard", which is your basic drywall with a water resistant paper.
Better than regular drywall for the occasional splash, but will break down under
continuous wet just like standard drywall.

There is also concrete board (Durock / Wonderboard). It'll handle water a lot
better than greenboard or regular drywall (it's the backing material of choice
in tiled showers and such).

What sort of water problems do you anticipate? Shoot, most garages are just
done up with 3/4" drywall. Why would this "shop" have larger moisture problems
than a garden-variety garage?

SQLit

"Iowa883" wrote in message
I own a small motorcycle repair business and I am building a new shop. I

was
wondering what to use for the walls ? I am thinking plywood,drywall or
something else. I heard that there is a type of drywall for like bathrooms
or shower stalls, is this correct ? I a am afraid normal drywall would be
too brittle and would absorb moisture.
Thanks,
Iowa883

Ever thought of putting sheet metal over the drywall? A buddy did his shop
that way. Easy to clean and if you use grease pencil you can wipe off the
notes you put on the wall.

Better check with your zoning agency. A shop could have fire regulations in
you area that we are not aware of.

Iowa883

I live in a rural area and I think the codes are pretty relaxed .
I am just wondering what prep I will have to do to drywall to get it into
service ?
Thanks,
Iowa883
"SQLit" wrote in message

"Iowa883" wrote in message
I own a small motorcycle repair business and I am building a new shop. I

was
wondering what to use for the walls ? I am thinking plywood,drywall or
something else. I heard that there is a type of drywall for like

bathrooms
or shower stalls, is this correct ? I a am afraid normal drywall would

be
too brittle and would absorb moisture.
Thanks,
Iowa883

Ever thought of putting sheet metal over the drywall? A buddy did his shop
that way. Easy to clean and if you use grease pencil you can wipe off the
notes you put on the wall.

Better check with your zoning agency. A shop could have fire regulations

in
you area that we are not aware of.

Iowa883

I guess I really don't know why my shop would have more moisture probles, I
have floor drains,cement floor and vapor barrier between the insulation and
the tin siding.
Iowa883