DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stud Finders (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/91449-stud-finders.html)

Gene February 15th 05 11:08 PM

Stud Finders

I have purchased many stud finders in the past, and my last one is
on the blink. I usually go with the Zircon brand. Does anyone have
their personal favorites. I NEED it to be accurate.

SteveB February 15th 05 11:27 PM

"Gene" wrote in message
I have purchased many stud finders in the past, and my last one is
on the blink. I usually go with the Zircon brand. Does anyone have
their personal favorites. I NEED it to be accurate.

I bought 100 neodymium boron super magnets. They are just a little smaller
than a penny, but a little thicker. I just start waving them over a wall,
and in no time, I have 10-20 of them sticking on the wall, and they REALLY
tell me where the stud is. They also work good defining nail guards that
send stud finders into convulsions. From there, I can take the old Zircon
and fine tune.

STeve

Philip Lewis February 16th 05 10:54 PM

We have plaster/lath walls...
I've not had good luck with the zircon... not even in deep scan
mode... That, or our walls are *really* screwy (of course the house is
130 years old... so that is a posibility.)

Any advice other than poking a hole and using the bent hanger angle
trick?

--
be safe.
flip

Colbyt February 17th 05 12:40 AM

"Philip Lewis" wrote in message
We have plaster/lath walls...
I've not had good luck with the zircon... not even in deep scan
mode... That, or our walls are *really* screwy (of course the house is
130 years old... so that is a posibility.)

Any advice other than poking a hole and using the bent hanger angle
trick?

Actually with plaster and lath construction the $2 stud finder that is
nothing but a magnet on a pivot works fairly well because of all the nails
in the lath. Of course it also finds pipes that are close to the wall.

Colbyt