Fr@nk

Default Sharp microwave door won't latch

Hey; I have a couple-year-old Sharp Carousel R1480 microwave. Yesterday the
door wouldn't latch (closed), so the interior light stays on, and of course,
I can't use the oven. Anyone know if this is a simple repair? Anything I can
try (like sticking something into the hinge receptacle openings to trigger
something)? I didn't see any easy way of opening the thing up to look at the
latching mechanism inside the main unit. By the way, it's an over-the-range
type; not a standalone. Any help here? Thanks.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Fr@nk" wrote in message
Hey; I have a couple-year-old Sharp Carousel R1480 microwave. Yesterday
the
door wouldn't latch (closed), so the interior light stays on, and of
course,
I can't use the oven. Anyone know if this is a simple repair? Anything I
can
try (like sticking something into the hinge receptacle openings to trigger
something)? I didn't see any easy way of opening the thing up to look at
the
latching mechanism inside the main unit. By the way, it's an
over-the-range
type; not a standalone. Any help here? Thanks.

Can't see it from here so no miracle cures. See if anything is sticking,
like the catch that holds the door closed. It may have pushed down and
stayed. Could be a broken spring, could be some gunk go into it. Could be
the lever you push to open the door did not return. Could be the part on
the door that hold it is broken.

Joseph Meehan

Fr@nk wrote:
Hey; I have a couple-year-old Sharp Carousel R1480 microwave.
Yesterday the door wouldn't latch (closed), so the interior light
stays on, and of course, I can't use the oven. Anyone know if this is
a simple repair? Anything I can try (like sticking something into the
hinge receptacle openings to trigger something)? I didn't see any
easy way of opening the thing up to look at the latching mechanism
inside the main unit. By the way, it's an over-the-range type; not a
standalone. Any help here? Thanks.

Two years old? Is it still under warrantee?

Sorry to hear it is an over the range type, I was going to suggest just
dumping it and getting a new one. Those over the stove things are a little
pricey, especially when you add in the instillation.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Lola

This is a tough one to diagnose without seeing the problem.
Before you spend any money, I would just pull out all the stops and
fiddle with it and hope for the best. If you can't use it, than the
situation can get much worse.
It terrible how one little plastic piece can make the whole machine
really go kaput.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Fr@nk

"Lola" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is a tough one to diagnose without seeing the problem.
Before you spend any money, I would just pull out all the stops and
fiddle with it and hope for the best. If you can't use it, than the
situation can get much worse.
It terrible how one little plastic piece can make the whole machine
really go kaput.

Keep us posted on your progress.

OK, I figured out how to open the thing up, and saw nothing
broken/disconnected inside the main unit (not the door) where the door
latches. So I noticed the two latches on the door swing up/down freely, with
no spring action. So I conclude there should be spring tension inside the
door, to force the latches back down and clamp onto the catches inside the
main unit.

So I finally get the inside panel off the door, and yep, there's a small
spring just sitting in the chamber at the bottom of the chamber where the
latch rod is. Just as you said(!), one little broken plastic piece gave way
(the one that held one end of the spring in place, attached to the body of
the door), rendering the microwave unusable. I tried epoxying the piece
back, but there was too little surface area to hold. So I pulled out my
epoxy putty, created my own little "plastic piece" (trying to match the
shape of the broken off piece as closely as possible), and stuck it in
place. I'm waiting right now for the putty to set up; it should be like
steel in a few minutes. If so, I should be able to reattach the spring.
We'll see...

Joseph Meehan

Fr@nk wrote:
"Lola" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Good Luck

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Fr@nk

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

Good Luck

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Fixed. That epoxy putty is really handy. I ended up using a small mound of
it as a "base" for the broken-off piece of plastic to adhere to. Molded the
putty in place, pressed the plastic hook piece into the putty, waited an
hour, and it was hard as a rock. Reassembled the spring apparatus, and it's
holding fine. Saved me from having to buy a new door ($150 online!) just for
the stupid molded-into-the-door plastic spring hook. Thanks for all the kind
thoughts and ideas.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dot Dot is offline

Default Sharp microwave door won't latch - How did you get the inside panel off?

replying to Fr@nk, Dot wrote:
fr wrote:

"Lola" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

How did you get the inside panel off the door?

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Dot, bc wrote:
Dot wrote:

How did you get the inside panel off the door?

I stumbled on this site for the same issue with older Sharp microwave.
After reading about the door spring, it was a quick and easy fix. Just
pry at the plastic around the sliding latch and it'll pop out. Like
others described, the bottom piece of plastic broke that held the spring.
I had an old spring lying around that I doubled up with the existing
spring so it could attach at a lower fixed spot. It's fully functional
again. Thanks for the info!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 06 Sep 2015 04:44:01 +0000, bc
wrote:

replying to Dot, bc wrote:
Dot wrote:

How did you get the inside panel off the door?

I stumbled on this site for the same issue with older Sharp microwave.
After reading about the door spring, it was a quick and easy fix. Just
pry at the plastic around the sliding latch and it'll pop out. Like
others described, the bottom piece of plastic broke that held the spring.
I had an old spring lying around that I doubled up with the existing
spring so it could attach at a lower fixed spot. It's fully functional
again. Thanks for the info!

I had invited myself to stay with friends in Staten Island 10 or 15
years ago, and one is supposed to bring a hostess gitt, but I'm not very
good at that. They both went to work in the morning. Laura or Mike
had mentioned that the latch on the built in microwave didn't latch, so
without asking them, I took the door apart and the little plastic peg
one end of the spring was attached to had broken. I used a wire tie I
found in their drawer, and tied the spring to something farther down,
using the length of the wire to make up the difference. it was looped
twice so it was four strands strong.

Boy were they surprised when they got home and the microwave worked. A
lot better than most hostess gifts.

--

Stumpy Strumpet
the bimbus

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

replying to Dot, bc wrote:
Dot wrote:

[...]

I've been a guest before and when left alone I decided to show my appreciation. When my hostess returned, she found the toilet had been cleaned, hinges on the doors were no longer squeaky, door hardware was not loose anymore, the doors closed easily and latched quietly. All the plumbing fixtures no longer leaked and of course I cleaned the kitchen and took out the garbage. She couldn't believe I was still single. I explained that I'd never been able to repair a woman, there were too many things malfunctioning at the same unpredictable time. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Repair Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2015 3:03 AM, micky wrote:
I had invited myself to stay with friends in Staten Island 10 or 15
years ago, and one is supposed to bring a hostess gitt, but I'm not very
good at that. They both went to work in the morning. Laura or Mike
had mentioned that the latch on the built in microwave didn't latch, so
without asking them, I took the door apart and the little plastic peg
one end of the spring was attached to had broken. I used a wire tie I
found in their drawer, and tied the spring to something farther down,
using the length of the wire to make up the difference. it was looped
twice so it was four strands strong.

Boy were they surprised when they got home and the microwave worked. A
lot better than most hostess gifts.

Much more useful than a bottle of wine.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

replying to Dot, bc wrote:
Dot wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you're a great house guest!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

replying to Dot, bc wrote:
Dot wrote:

[...]

It's true that women are unpredictable and malfunction, some more often
than others, but don't men tend to go off half cocked sometimes, too?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

replying to Dot, bc wrote:
Dot wrote:

[...]

Some of us mens has hair triggers and some of us mens is bald. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hairy Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

replying to Dot, bc wrote:
Dot wrote:

[...]

You're one of the lucky ones!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

replying to Dot, bc wrote:
Dot wrote:

[...]

I got my first haircut in over a year a few months back in the center's beauty parlor. I've let my beard continue to grow and it's at least 6" long in some places. I can already hear the duck calls but give me a while and I'll be able to join ZZ Top. I could wrap a towel around my head and yell,"Death to America!" ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Santa Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

replying to Dot, bc wrote:
Dot wrote:

[...]

So MW is male of female?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

replying to Dot, bc wrote:
Dot wrote:

[...]

Um, who is "MW"? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Puzzled Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

replying to Dot, bc wrote:
Dot wrote:

[...]

MW = microwave (oven)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

replying to Dot, bc wrote:
Dot wrote:

[...]

I kind of thought so but I can't control my fingers sometimes. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Waveguide Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sharp microwave - gender check?

On 9/8/2015 12:23 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 12:07:39 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:
So MW is male of female?

Um, who is "MW"? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Puzzled Monster

MW = microwave (oven)

Has a box.
Normally cold.
Goes from cold to hot instantly.
Works if you push buttons.
Instructions say to stick it in.
Encourages you to look in side.
Makes hot food for you.
Makes hot coffee and tea for you.
Only works when plugged in.
Can do in sixty seconds what a man takes an hour to do.

Which gender does that sound like?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

[...]

The baldness is really a solar panel for a sex machine.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 4:21:36 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

I'm certainly not bald. I went over a year without a haircut until I was thought to be a homeless bum who sneaked into the center. I have let my beard grow to Duck Dynasty length and if I keep it up, I'll be able to masquerade as a member of ZZ Top. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Furry Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster

wrote:

.
[...]

Bit low on replacement parts/required tools to do service work on
them too. [g]

--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 8:29:16 PM UTC-5, Diesel wrote:
Uncle Monster
Sun, 06
Sep 2015 11:44:07 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I've been a guest before and when left alone I decided to show my
appreciation. When my hostess returned, she found the toilet had
been cleaned, hinges on the doors were no longer squeaky, door
hardware was not loose anymore, the doors closed easily and
latched quietly. All the plumbing fixtures no longer leaked and of
course I cleaned the kitchen and took out the garbage. She
couldn't believe I was still single. I explained that I'd never
been able to repair a woman, there were too many things
malfunctioning at the same unpredictable time. ^_^

Bit low on replacement parts/required tools to do service work on
them too. [g]

--

Perhaps Planned Parenthood could help out with spares parts. ^_^

Did you know that rotten.com was still up? It doesn't appear to have been updated in a very long time but most of the content is still there. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Macabre Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster
Fri, 18
Sep 2015 02:08:13 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[...]

You didn't...That's bound to ruffle up some feathers.

Did you know that rotten.com was still up? It doesn't appear to
have been updated in a very long time but most of the content is
still there. o_O

I don't think that's going to be a good save, my man. rofl

--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 18, 2015 at 3:57:42 PM UTC-5, Diesel wrote:
[...]

You know I can't control my hands at times. I must be channeling Hatter? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Un-PC Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 18, 2015 at 4:20:16 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:

You know I can't control my hands at times. I must be channeling Hatter? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Un-PC Monster

....more like you're channeling Hitler! ::::[]= ( Í*° Ê– ͡°)ง
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 18, 2015 at 6:08:41 PM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Friday, September 18, 2015 at 4:20:16 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:

You know I can't control my hands at times. I must be channeling Hatter? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Un-PC Monster

...more like you're channeling Hitler! ::::[]= ( Í*° Ê– ͡°)ง

Now that you brought up the Socialist dictator Hitler, you've just verified that you're a Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freak Moonbat Trans-Intellectual. Good job! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Medium Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

...whatever you say Adolph! ༼ à²*Ù„ÍŸà²*༽•*ˆ©•®
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 18, 2015 at 7:35:56 PM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
...whatever you say Adolph! ༼ à²*Ù„ÍŸà²*༽•*ˆ©•®

That must be the new salute you Nazis use. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Allied Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-09-18 8:38 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, September 18, 2015 at 7:35:56 PM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
...whatever you say Adolph! ༼ à²*Ù„ÍŸà²*༽•*ˆ©•®

That must be the new salute you Nazis use. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Allied Monster

There must be a place in here to invoke Godwin's Law.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 18, 2015 at 8:49:35 PM UTC-5, FrozenNorth wrote:

There must be a place in here to invoke Godwin's Law.

Froz...

....he made a lame pun...I only stated the obvious.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster

Hah! K... i'mma stop now, before you get us both in some ****. rofl.

--
Optimist: Someone who doesn't know all the facts yet.