Old February 13th 05, 02:41 PM
[email protected]

Default Sharp microwave door won't latch

Hey; I have a couple-year-old Sharp Carousel R1480 microwave. Yesterday the
door wouldn't latch (closed), so the interior light stays on, and of course,
I can't use the oven. Anyone know if this is a simple repair? Anything I can
try (like sticking something into the hinge receptacle openings to trigger
something)? I didn't see any easy way of opening the thing up to look at the
latching mechanism inside the main unit. By the way, it's an over-the-range
type; not a standalone. Any help here? Thanks.

Old February 13th 05, 02:50 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"[email protected]" wrote in message
news:[email protected]..
Hey; I have a couple-year-old Sharp Carousel R1480 microwave. Yesterday
the
door wouldn't latch (closed), so the interior light stays on, and of
course,
I can't use the oven. Anyone know if this is a simple repair? Anything I
can
try (like sticking something into the hinge receptacle openings to trigger
something)? I didn't see any easy way of opening the thing up to look at
the
latching mechanism inside the main unit. By the way, it's an
over-the-range
type; not a standalone. Any help here? Thanks.

Can't see it from here so no miracle cures. See if anything is sticking,
like the catch that holds the door closed. It may have pushed down and
stayed. Could be a broken spring, could be some gunk go into it. Could be
the lever you push to open the door did not return. Could be the part on
the door that hold it is broken.

Old February 13th 05, 03:56 PM
Joseph Meehan

[email protected] wrote:
Hey; I have a couple-year-old Sharp Carousel R1480 microwave.
Yesterday the door wouldn't latch (closed), so the interior light
stays on, and of course, I can't use the oven. Anyone know if this is
a simple repair? Anything I can try (like sticking something into the
hinge receptacle openings to trigger something)? I didn't see any
easy way of opening the thing up to look at the latching mechanism
inside the main unit. By the way, it's an over-the-range type; not a
standalone. Any help here? Thanks.

Two years old? Is it still under warrantee?

Sorry to hear it is an over the range type, I was going to suggest just
dumping it and getting a new one. Those over the stove things are a little
pricey, especially when you add in the instillation.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old February 13th 05, 04:42 PM
Lola

This is a tough one to diagnose without seeing the problem.
Before you spend any money, I would just pull out all the stops and
fiddle with it and hope for the best. If you can't use it, than the
situation can get much worse.
It terrible how one little plastic piece can make the whole machine
really go kaput.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Old February 13th 05, 05:22 PM
[email protected]

"Lola" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is a tough one to diagnose without seeing the problem.
Before you spend any money, I would just pull out all the stops and
fiddle with it and hope for the best. If you can't use it, than the
situation can get much worse.
It terrible how one little plastic piece can make the whole machine
really go kaput.

Keep us posted on your progress.

OK, I figured out how to open the thing up, and saw nothing
broken/disconnected inside the main unit (not the door) where the door
latches. So I noticed the two latches on the door swing up/down freely, with
no spring action. So I conclude there should be spring tension inside the
door, to force the latches back down and clamp onto the catches inside the
main unit.

So I finally get the inside panel off the door, and yep, there's a small
spring just sitting in the chamber at the bottom of the chamber where the
latch rod is. Just as you said(!), one little broken plastic piece gave way
(the one that held one end of the spring in place, attached to the body of
the door), rendering the microwave unusable. I tried epoxying the piece
back, but there was too little surface area to hold. So I pulled out my
epoxy putty, created my own little "plastic piece" (trying to match the
shape of the broken off piece as closely as possible), and stuck it in
place. I'm waiting right now for the putty to set up; it should be like
steel in a few minutes. If so, I should be able to reattach the spring.
We'll see...

Old February 13th 05, 11:36 PM
Joseph Meehan

[email protected] wrote:
"Lola" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Good Luck

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old February 14th 05, 01:24 AM
[email protected]

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

Good Luck

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Fixed. That epoxy putty is really handy. I ended up using a small mound of
it as a "base" for the broken-off piece of plastic to adhere to. Molded the
putty in place, pressed the plastic hook piece into the putty, waited an
hour, and it was hard as a rock. Reassembled the spring apparatus, and it's
holding fine. Saved me from having to buy a new door ($150 online!) just for
the stupid molded-into-the-door plastic spring hook. Thanks for all the kind
thoughts and ideas.

Old January 18th 14, 06:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Dot Dot is offline

Default Sharp microwave door won't latch - How did you get the inside panel off?

replying to [email protected], Dot wrote:
fr wrote:

"Lola" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

How did you get the inside panel off the door?

Old September 6th 15, 05:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Dot, bc wrote:
Dot wrote:

How did you get the inside panel off the door?

I stumbled on this site for the same issue with older Sharp microwave.
After reading about the door spring, it was a quick and easy fix. Just
pry at the plastic around the sliding latch and it'll pop out. Like
others described, the bottom piece of plastic broke that held the spring.
I had an old spring lying around that I doubled up with the existing
spring so it could attach at a lower fixed spot. It's fully functional
again. Thanks for the info!

Old September 6th 15, 08:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 06 Sep 2015 04:44:01 +0000, bc
wrote:

replying to Dot, bc wrote:
Dot wrote:

How did you get the inside panel off the door?

I stumbled on this site for the same issue with older Sharp microwave.
After reading about the door spring, it was a quick and easy fix. Just
pry at the plastic around the sliding latch and it'll pop out. Like
others described, the bottom piece of plastic broke that held the spring.
I had an old spring lying around that I doubled up with the existing
spring so it could attach at a lower fixed spot. It's fully functional
again. Thanks for the info!

I had invited myself to stay with friends in Staten Island 10 or 15
years ago, and one is supposed to bring a hostess gitt, but I'm not very
good at that. They both went to work in the morning. Laura or Mike
had mentioned that the latch on the built in microwave didn't latch, so
without asking them, I took the door apart and the little plastic peg
one end of the spring was attached to had broken. I used a wire tie I
found in their drawer, and tied the spring to something farther down,
using the length of the wire to make up the difference. it was looped
twice so it was four strands strong.

Boy were they surprised when they got home and the microwave worked. A
lot better than most hostess gifts.

--

Stumpy Strumpet
the bimbus