DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cutting Countertop to Length, Best Way? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/90832-cutting-countertop-length-best-way.html)

Ronbo February 12th 05 11:27 AM

Cutting Countertop to Length, Best Way?

Whats the best way to cut preformed countertop.

DanG February 12th 05 02:06 PM

Turn the piece upside down. Tack on an edge guide for your
circular saw. Extra care must be taken as you cut the backsplash
as the cut comes around the corner. I usually cut the backsplash
first.. The fall off must either be small or well supported to
prevent it breaking free at the end of the cut with the potential
to damage the finish.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

Ed February 12th 05 05:31 PM

"Ronbo" wrote

Whats the best way to cut preformed countertop.

Always cut through masking tape. Use a sharp or new blade designed for the
task. The tape will keep the edge from chipping.

Ronbo February 13th 05 10:09 AM

"Ronbo" wrote in message

Whats the best way to cut preformed countertop.

Would a fine tooth circular saw work out ok?

DanG February 13th 05 05:37 PM

Fine tooth?? Do you mean a plywood blade?

Virtually any sharp blade will work. The blade I would use by
choice would be carbide blade with about 20 teeth. The particle
board and plastic laminate are hard on plain steel blades.

Let us assume that you need to cut off about 6 inches of this top.
Make a mark and set up to cut off about 1 inch. Make the cut.
You will have some practice and experience when you go to make the
finish cut. If things go wrong, you still have enough for another
practice cut.

Charles Bishop February 13th 05 05:57 PM

"Ronbo" wrote in message

Whats the best way to cut preformed countertop.

Would a fine tooth circular saw work out ok?

Probably. Another solution is to cut the countertop a couple of inches
long on the first cut, then make a second cut to length. This way, if the
fall off tears off a bit of the formica on the first cut, there second
piece of fall off is small enough it won't do it again.

--
charles

Ronbo February 13th 05 09:40 PM

Charles Bishop wrote:

"Ronbo" wrote in message

Whats the best way to cut preformed countertop.

Would a fine tooth circular saw work out ok?

Probably. Another solution is to cut the countertop a couple of inches
long on the first cut, then make a second cut to length. This way, if the
fall off tears off a bit of the formica on the first cut, there second
piece of fall off is small enough it won't do it again.

Thanks to all for the help