DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Furring strips (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/90795-furring-strips.html)

PhotoMan February 11th 05 07:08 PM

Furring strips

I would like to fasten pressure treated (dry) 1 X 2 furring strips to an
unpainted concrete block wall. Is it acceptable to do so with Liquid Nails?
If so, are there any special precautions/steps to be taken?
TIA

SQLit February 11th 05 09:34 PM

"PhotoMan" wrote in message
I would like to fasten pressure treated (dry) 1 X 2 furring strips to an
unpainted concrete block wall. Is it acceptable to do so with Liquid

Nails?
If so, are there any special precautions/steps to be taken?
TIA

IMO,
Bad idea with just liquid nails. Depends on what the furring strips are
supporting.
Concrete nails, (cut nails) are not that expensive and they will pound in
with just a hammer. I would use 2 to 2.5 inch concrete nails every 12 inches
the length of the furring strip.

Probably to many nails, I am not interested in problems later so I tend to
over kill a bit.

Tony Pacc February 12th 05 12:24 AM

33 yrs ago I attached furring strips(2x2) with Liquid Nails on my basement
walls, concrete block,there still solid as a rock!No special
precautions,much easier then pounding concrete nails.

rnr_construction February 12th 05 07:13 AM

"PhotoMan" wrote in message
I would like to fasten pressure treated (dry) 1 X 2 furring strips to an
unpainted concrete block wall. Is it acceptable to do so with Liquid
Nails?
If so, are there any special precautions/steps to be taken?
TIA

I have used regular nails on many block walls
16,s 8,s and even finish nails. although the finish nails may bend
occasionly

Steve Manes February 13th 05 06:15 AM

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:08:49 -0600, "PhotoMan"
wrote:

I would like to fasten pressure treated (dry) 1 X 2 furring strips to an
unpainted concrete block wall. Is it acceptable to do so with Liquid Nails?
If so, are there any special precautions/steps to be taken?

I've used Liquid Nails-like construction adhesives, although mostly
polyurethane-based, successfully in this circumstance when I had no
other options. But I usually use concrete nails and a palm nailer to
give the connection better mechanical fastening. The main problem
is that they're surface adhesives. If the surface isn't completely
clean or the wall might have intermittent moisture problems you could
have trouble later.

Steve Manes, Brooklyn, USA
www.magpie.com