DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to remove glue left from old kitchen wall tile?? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/90640-how-remove-glue-left-old-kitchen-wall-tile.html)

Steve February 10th 05 04:40 PM

How to remove glue left from old kitchen wall tile??

I started removing some of the old wall tile in preperation for a new range
we are getting on Saturday.
All the tile between the counter and the cabinets will be replace
eventually. What will I do about the glue thats left from the old tiles. Its
pretty thick and very stuck to the walls. I'm guessing I have to scrape it
all off to have a smooth serface to put new tile onto???? What would be the
best tool to use for this??

TIA

SR

Matt February 10th 05 05:06 PM

I wouldn't even try. Cut the section out and replace with new sheetrock.

Charles Spitzer February 10th 05 05:27 PM

"Steve" wrote in message
I started removing some of the old wall tile in preperation for a new range
we are getting on Saturday.
All the tile between the counter and the cabinets will be replace
eventually. What will I do about the glue thats left from the old tiles.
Its
pretty thick and very stuck to the walls. I'm guessing I have to scrape it
all off to have a smooth serface to put new tile onto???? What would be
the
best tool to use for this??

TIA

SR

if it's mastic, a heat gun and a scraper. if you're not retiling, it would
be far easier to redo the walls with fresh sheetrock.

Marcus February 10th 05 06:01 PM

A steam wallpaper stripper will soften up so you can scrape it off smoothly
& evenly.

--
Marcus

I like people, they are bio-degradable !.

Colbyt February 10th 05 09:51 PM

"Steve" wrote in message
I started removing some of the old wall tile in preperation for a new

range
we are getting on Saturday.
All the tile between the counter and the cabinets will be replace
eventually. What will I do about the glue thats left from the old tiles.

Its
pretty thick and very stuck to the walls. I'm guessing I have to scrape it
all off to have a smooth serface to put new tile onto???? What would be

the
best tool to use for this??

TIA

SR

If you are installing new tile and are willing to waste a little mastic, it
is not necessary to remove the old. Scrape off the highest ridges, apply
new mastic and set your tile.

Before I would scrape it all off, I would rip out the drywall and install
new. It would be a lot less work.

Colbyt

Norminn February 11th 05 01:00 AM

Steve wrote:
I started removing some of the old wall tile in preperation for a new range
we are getting on Saturday.
All the tile between the counter and the cabinets will be replace
eventually. What will I do about the glue thats left from the old tiles. Its
pretty thick and very stuck to the walls. I'm guessing I have to scrape it
all off to have a smooth serface to put new tile onto???? What would be the
best tool to use for this??

TIA

SR

You removed the tile, and you want to get adhesive off the wall? I
would be inclined to shave it down with a razor-blade scraper. Should
at least take the "peaks" off.