DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   water pressure reducing valve failure modes? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/90260-water-pressure-reducing-valve-failure-modes.html)

John Shaeffer February 7th 05 01:41 AM

water pressure reducing valve failure modes?

My water pressure reducing valve will control pressure under flow and can be
adjusted to various settings. But when flow is shut off, pressure jumps to
about 125 lbs/sq inch almost instantly regardless of pressure when there is
flow. Thus this is not a water heater thermal expansion issue.

Does this mean that the pressure reducing valve needs to be replaced?
Present unit is about 15 years old, Watts 25 AUB.

Thanks.

John

Speedy Jim February 7th 05 02:39 AM

John Shaeffer wrote:

My water pressure reducing valve will control pressure under flow and can be
adjusted to various settings. But when flow is shut off, pressure jumps to
about 125 lbs/sq inch almost instantly regardless of pressure when there is
flow. Thus this is not a water heater thermal expansion issue.

Does this mean that the pressure reducing valve needs to be replaced?
Present unit is about 15 years old, Watts 25 AUB.

Thanks.

John

Yes, it is not seating and sealing perfectly, thus allowing some
small flow regardless of downstream pressure.
You might be able to repair it, but i think you're better off
getting an identical unit and swap it in.

Jim