Jim M

Default Little OT...Building Noah's Arc in 2005

Noah's 2005 Ark

It's the year 2005 and Noah lives in the United States. The Lord
speaks to Noah and says: "In one year I am going to make it rain and
cover the whole earth with water until all is destroyed. I want you to
save the righteous people and two of every kind of living thing on the
earth. Therefore, I am commanding you to build an Ark."

In a flash of lightning, God delivered the specifications for an Ark.
Fearful and trembling, Noah took the plans and agreed to build the
Ark.

"Remember," said the Lord, "You must complete the Ark and bring
everything aboard in one year."

Exactly one year later, a fierce storm cloud covered the earth and all
the seas of the earth went into a tumult. The Lord saw Noah sitting in
his front yard weeping.

"Noah." God shouted, "Where is the Ark?"

"Lord please forgive me!" cried Noah. "I did my best, but there were
big problems. First, I had to get a permit for construction and your
plans did not comply with the codes. I had to hire an engineering firm
and redraw the plans. Then I got into a fight with OSHA over whether
or not the Ark needed a fire sprinkler system and floatation devices.
Then my neighbor objected, claiming I was violating zoning ordinances
by building the Ark in my front yard, so I had to get a variance from
the city planning commission."

"I had problems getting enough wood for the Ark, because there was a
ban on cutting trees to protect the Spotted Owl. I finally convinced
the U.S. Forest Service that I needed the wood to save the owls.
However, the Fish and Wildlife Service won't let me catch any owls.
So, no owls. The carpenters formed a union and went out on strike. I
had to negotiate a settlement with the National Labor Union. Now I
have 16 carpenters on the Ark, but still no owls."

"When I started rounding up the other animals, I got sued by an animal
rights group. They objected to me only taking two of each kind aboard.
Just when I got the suit dismissed, the EPA notified me that I could
not complete the Ark without filing an environmental impact statement
on your proposed flood. They didn't take very kindly to the idea that
they had no jurisdiction over the conduct of the Creator of the
universe. Then the Army Corps of Engineers demanded a map of the
proposed new flood plain. I sent them a globe."

"Right now, I am trying to resolve a complaint filed with the Equal
Employment Opportunity Commission that I am practicing discrimination
by not taking godless, unbelieving people aboard! The IRS has seized
all my assets, claiming that I'm building the Ark in preparation to
flee the country to avoid paying taxes. I just got a notice from the
state that I owe some kind of user tax and failed to register the Ark
as a recreational water craft."

"Finally the ACLU got the courts to issue an injunction against
further construction of the Ark, saying that since God is flooding the
earth, it is a religious event, therefore unconstitutional. I really
don't think I can finish the Ark for another 5 or 6 years!"

Noah wailed. The sky began to clear, the sun began to shine and the
seas began to calm. A rainbow arched across the sky. Noah looked up
hopefully.

"You mean you are not going to destroy the earth, Lord?"
"No," said the Lord sadly. "The government already has."

2005 Building regs (Thermal efficiency) Dave UK diy 1 January 22nd 05 06:44 PM
Building regs re new structures troubleinstore UK diy 14 May 27th 04 08:59 AM
Building in France this summer: English-French Building Dictionary buildersabroad.com UK diy 0 May 9th 04 12:06 PM
Building Notices steve UK diy 57 December 24th 03 12:29 AM
Lack of building permit donald girod Home Repair 12 July 7th 03 11:13 PM