DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shower Handle Question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/89507-shower-handle-question.html)

nr February 2nd 05 06:51 PM

Shower Handle Question

I recently moved into a 15 year old house. The shower handle is one of
those one-piece units that you pull out to get water (the more you
pull, the more water you get) and turn clockwise or counter-clockwise
to vary the temperature.

Without knocking out the wall, how can I determine if I can replace
this handle with one more easily used? I've been told the current unit
is a Delta.

Thanks for any help.

m Ransley February 2nd 05 07:29 PM

What is easier to use than what you have. What you have is as simple as
it gets.

Speedy Jim February 2nd 05 08:34 PM

nr wrote:
I recently moved into a 15 year old house. The shower handle is one of
those one-piece units that you pull out to get water (the more you
pull, the more water you get) and turn clockwise or counter-clockwise
to vary the temperature.

Without knocking out the wall, how can I determine if I can replace
this handle with one more easily used? I've been told the current unit
is a Delta.

Thanks for any help.

To put a different type in means replumbing inside the wall.
The action you describe sounds like Moen, not Delta.
Browse the mfr web sites to see if there is a match.
The Moen controls get very stiff with age; you can replace the
internal cartridge without replumbing and get a smooth-acting
control again (if that's the complaint).

Do the web search first...

Jim

Bob M February 2nd 05 08:53 PM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:34:11 -0500, Speedy Jim wrote:

nr wrote:
I recently moved into a 15 year old house. The shower handle is one of
those one-piece units that you pull out to get water (the more you
pull, the more water you get) and turn clockwise or counter-clockwise
to vary the temperature.
Without knocking out the wall, how can I determine if I can replace
this handle with one more easily used? I've been told the current unit
is a Delta.
Thanks for any help.

To put a different type in means replumbing inside the wall.
The action you describe sounds like Moen, not Delta.
Browse the mfr web sites to see if there is a match.
The Moen controls get very stiff with age; you can replace the
internal cartridge without replumbing and get a smooth-acting
control again (if that's the complaint).

Do the web search first...

Jim

I forget what type I have, but I was able to rebuild both of mine, and now
they operate much better than they did when I first got into my house. I
went to a plumbing supply store instead of Home Depot, but it turns out
that HD has the parts I bought at the plumbing supply store (but I just
took the parts in and the plumbing supply store found and gave me the
exact parts; HD can take hours for that sometimes).

--
Bob in CT

Nick Hull February 3rd 05 11:32 AM

In article , Speedy Jim
wrote:

The Moen controls get very stiff with age; you can replace the
internal cartridge without replumbing and get a smooth-acting
control again (if that's the complaint).

Or just remove the cartridge, apply silicone grease and re-install and
it will be better than new for a few years.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/