DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   GE Garbage Disposal Quit (Disposall) (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/89487-ge-garbage-disposal-quit-disposall.html)

Craig Williams February 1st 05 11:36 PM

GE Garbage Disposal Quit (Disposall)

This model GFC700 disposal is the same age as our house - about 15 years.
Two days ago, it made an unusual sound when running, a more high-pitched
noise than normal. Then yesterday, my wife said while it was running it
made a CLUNK sound and quit.

The unit rotates freely (with a hammer handle inserted into it). The reset
button has been pushed - it did not seem to be activated, though.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Time to get a new one?

Thanks,
Craig

[to reply directly, change the VERB to a NUMERAL]

Appliance Repair Aid February 2nd 05 12:39 PM

G'day,

Split your problem then.

It's on the same breaker as the dish=ADwasher, which
still works.

Check/confirm 110-120 volts AC comming into the unit with a volt meter
and power there =3D a problem inside the disposal itself and then you can
weight the pros and cons....take apart the old unit for possible repair
( switch, burnt wires, cooked motor ) or replace the unit with a new
disposal.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/