DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cracks in slab info (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/89364-cracks-slab-info.html)

steeda February 1st 05 05:59 AM

Cracks in slab info

Hello,

I just bought a house in Santee, CA, known for expansive soils. After
pulling up some carpet, I found 2 hariline 1/16" cracks running across one
of the rooms. ( an addon, which was to code ). The house is 30 years old,
the addon is 8 years old. I haven't pulled carpet from the original
structure yet. The largest width mesaured at any point in the cracks is
1/16". The crack "splits apart' and the sides are totally level with one
over, not an up/down situation.

Is this a concern?

willshak February 1st 05 07:00 AM

On 2/1/2005 12:59 AM US(ET), steeda took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Hello,

I just bought a house in Santee, CA, known for expansive soils. After
pulling up some carpet, I found 2 hariline 1/16" cracks running across one
of the rooms. ( an addon, which was to code ). The house is 30 years old,
the addon is 8 years old. I haven't pulled carpet from the original
structure yet. The largest width mesaured at any point in the cracks is
1/16". The crack "splits apart' and the sides are totally level with one
over, not an up/down situation.

Is this a concern?

All concrete slabs crack under the right conditions. Both my 20 year old
2 car garage and basement have cracks in the concrete. Not 1/16" wide
though, maybe 1/64". Just enough to see.
Even when sidewalks and patios are built outside, the contractors put
grooves in the concrete to control cracks.

--
Bill

Bob S. February 1st 05 02:18 PM

steeda wrote:
Hello,

I just bought a house in Santee, CA, known for expansive soils. After

pulling up some carpet, I found 2 hariline 1/16" cracks running

across one
of the rooms. ( an addon, which was to code ). The house is 30 years

old,
the addon is 8 years old. I haven't pulled carpet from the original
structure yet. The largest width mesaured at any point in the cracks

is
1/16". The crack "splits apart' and the sides are totally level with

one
over, not an up/down situation.

Is this a concern?

ALL concrete can, and will, crack. That's why they put wire or rebar
imbedded in the concrete - so that when it does crack it won't cause
problems.
Bob S.

dadiOH February 1st 05 02:25 PM

steeda wrote:
Hello,

I just bought a house in Santee, CA, known for expansive soils. After
pulling up some carpet, I found 2 hariline 1/16" cracks running
across one of the rooms. ( an addon, which was to code ). The house
is 30 years old, the addon is 8 years old. I haven't pulled carpet
from the original structure yet. The largest width mesaured at any
point in the cracks is 1/16". The crack "splits apart' and the sides
are totally level with one over, not an up/down situation.

Is this a concern?

No

--
dadiOH