John

Default Where to put furnace thermostat?

Hi everyone,

I have a simple forced hot air furnace. The house is a 200 year old
post-beam cape with the front two rooms original, while the back half of the
house is a 30 year old addition. The thermostat is located in a front room
that we seldom use and is drafty. It would seem to me that the thermostat
would perform better if located in the central part of the house away from
doors, windows and drafts.

I'm about to purchase a programable thermostat and I'd like to run it to the
furnace from a dirrerent location.

-Jeff

SQLit

"John" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I have a simple forced hot air furnace. The house is a 200 year old
post-beam cape with the front two rooms original, while the back half of

the
house is a 30 year old addition. The thermostat is located in a front room
that we seldom use and is drafty. It would seem to me that the thermostat
would perform better if located in the central part of the house away from
doors, windows and drafts.

I'm about to purchase a programable thermostat and I'd like to run it to

the
furnace from a dirrerent location.

-Jeff

Stats are typically located near the return air grill. 60 inches above
finished floor.

Simple enough- where you want the air temp held near the set point.
Obviously that should be somewhere in the airflow loop from/to furnace,
i.e. not in a closed-off room.
John

Bubba

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:22:26 -0700, "SQLit"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I have a simple forced hot air furnace. The house is a 200 year old
post-beam cape with the front two rooms original, while the back half of

the
house is a 30 year old addition. The thermostat is located in a front room
that we seldom use and is drafty. It would seem to me that the thermostat
would perform better if located in the central part of the house away from
doors, windows and drafts.

I'm about to purchase a programable thermostat and I'd like to run it to

the
furnace from a dirrerent location.

-Jeff

Stats are typically located near the return air grill. 60 inches above
finished floor.

and exactly where did you get that tid bit of info?
Bubba
~KJPRO~

"SQLit" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I have a simple forced hot air furnace. The house is a 200 year old
post-beam cape with the front two rooms original, while the back half of

the
house is a 30 year old addition. The thermostat is located in a front

room
that we seldom use and is drafty. It would seem to me that the

thermostat
would perform better if located in the central part of the house away

from
doors, windows and drafts.

I'm about to purchase a programable thermostat and I'd like to run it to

the
furnace from a dirrerent location.

-Jeff

Stats are typically located near the return air grill. 60 inches above
finished floor.

WTF, since when??

~kjpro~