DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   broken garage door opener... fixable? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/87719-broken-garage-door-opener-fixable.html)

[email protected] January 22nd 05 05:45 PM

broken garage door opener... fixable?

Hello,
I have a Sears Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door opener. Last week it
stopped working for me. When I turn it on, the motor makes a noise for
about a second, and then stops. The lights and everything else seem to
work. The number on the motor is 04302GP. The wires going to it from
the capacitor and the power supply seem to be melted a little, so I
suspect it has burned out. is this easily replaceable, or should I just
spring for a new garage door opener?

Roger January 22nd 05 07:22 PM

I have a Sears Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door opener. Last week it
stopped working for me. When I turn it on, the motor makes a noise for
about a second, and then stops. The lights and everything else seem to
work. The number on the motor is 04302GP. The wires going to it from
the capacitor and the power supply seem to be melted a little, so I
suspect it has burned out. is this easily replaceable, or should I just
spring for a new garage door opener?

Did you check to see if the door was blocked or locked, or a spring was
broken? Sounds like the motor is either burned out, or cannot overcome load
of door.

[email protected] January 22nd 05 09:15 PM

Sounds like the capacitor is bad & maybe the fluid inside it got on the
wires when it blew.

Doordoc
www.DoorsAndOpeners.com

SN January 22nd 05 10:00 PM

Did you check to see if the door was blocked or locked, or a spring was
broken? Sounds like the motor is either burned out, or cannot overcome load
of door.

Yes, do make sure that you disconnect the door from the opener to make
sure that it operates without a lot of resistance. If it has a torsion
spring that is broken then there's no way the opener will be able to
lift it.