DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Roof Question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/87628-roof-question.html)

TomCAt January 22nd 05 12:29 PM

Roof Question

When you take off an old roof. ... The old sheathing is boards. The
boards are old but they are tight next to each other. There is one roof on
above.

Is there any reason to re-cover the old sheathing?

Joseph Meehan January 22nd 05 01:08 PM

Normally that question can only be answered by an inspection by someone
with good roofing knowledge and consideration of local conditions.

When re-roofing always get more than one estimate.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Travis Jordan January 22nd 05 02:11 PM

TomCAt wrote:
When you take off an old roof. ... The old sheathing is boards.
The boards are old but they are tight next to each other. There is
one roof on above.

Is there any reason to re-cover the old sheathing?

Re-cover with what? With sheathing? Probably not.

You should have an underlayment system installed prior to installing the new
roof covering.

John Hines January 22nd 05 03:51 PM

"TomCAt" wrote:

Is there any reason to re-cover the old sheathing?

When the pros redid my roof, they basically went all over the old
sheathing with a hammer to find any bad spots, and cut out, and replaced
them.

So no, unless there are real bad problems, no.

Roger Shoaf January 22nd 05 07:54 PM

"TomCAt" wrote in message
When you take off an old roof. ... The old sheathing is boards. The
boards are old but they are tight next to each other. There is one roof

on
above.

Is there any reason to re-cover the old sheathing?

Your 1X decking should be inspected for rot, cracking, etc. The smoother
it is, the smoother your shingles will lay. If the boards are in good
shape, then new underlaymnet and shingles are all you need.

If the overall condition of the planks are bad. it might be easier to rip
them off and replace them.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Tom January 23rd 05 04:25 AM

"TomCAt" wrote:

Is there any reason to re-cover the old sheathing?

I've told you once, not if it's sound.... Tom
Work at your leisure!