Den

Default Screw-in photo cell light adaptor

Group:

I've got a light fitting in a shaded area. I need to fit one of these
screw-in photo-cell adaptors to it. Does anyone have any recommendations
about models to look at / avoid. In particular I need to be able to adjust
the sensitivity of the unit as (as I've said) the light fitting is in a
shaded area.

Cheers

Den

Roger

I've got a light fitting in a shaded area. I need to fit one of these
screw-in photo-cell adaptors to it. Does anyone have any recommendations
about models to look at / avoid. In particular I need to be able to
adjust the sensitivity of the unit.

It's a waste of electricity to use a light sensing switch in the socket, as
it leaves the light on all night. Why not get a motion detector switch, and
connect it to the fixture, or just a motion detector floodlight fixture
which would likely be as cheap or cheaper than the switch unit.. The good
ones have light sensor adjustments as well as choices of time-on.

JerryMouse

Den wrote:
Group:

I've got a light fitting in a shaded area. I need to fit one of
these screw-in photo-cell adaptors to it. Does anyone have any
recommendations about models to look at / avoid. In particular I
need to be able to adjust the sensitivity of the unit as (as I've
said) the light fitting is in a shaded area.

You can buy just the photocell. Install it in series with the light circuit
and mount it where the sensor gets full sun.

In my case, a garage, the outside light was activated by a switch inside the
garage. It was a simple matter to mount the sensor on the other side of the
wall (outside) from the switch. All the wiring was right there.

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 21 Jan 2005 05:36:06p, Roger called across the abyss...

I've got a light fitting in a shaded area. I need to fit one of these
screw-in photo-cell adaptors to it. Does anyone have any
recommendations about models to look at / avoid. In particular I need
to be able to adjust the sensitivity of the unit.

It's a waste of electricity to use a light sensing switch in the socket,
as it leaves the light on all night. Why not get a motion detector
switch, and connect it to the fixture, or just a motion detector
floodlight fixture which would likely be as cheap or cheaper than the
switch unit.. The good ones have light sensor adjustments as well as
choices of time-on.

Depends on the adapter. The one I bought can be adjusted to burn from 1-6
hours or all night after initially turning on.

Wayne