DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Screw-in photo cell light adaptor (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/87596-screw-photo-cell-light-adaptor.html)

Den January 21st 05 09:13 PM

Screw-in photo cell light adaptor

Group:

I've got a light fitting in a shaded area. I need to fit one of these
screw-in photo-cell adaptors to it. Does anyone have any recommendations
about models to look at / avoid. In particular I need to be able to adjust
the sensitivity of the unit as (as I've said) the light fitting is in a
shaded area.

Cheers

Den

Roger January 22nd 05 12:36 AM

I've got a light fitting in a shaded area. I need to fit one of these
screw-in photo-cell adaptors to it. Does anyone have any recommendations
about models to look at / avoid. In particular I need to be able to
adjust the sensitivity of the unit.

It's a waste of electricity to use a light sensing switch in the socket, as
it leaves the light on all night. Why not get a motion detector switch, and
connect it to the fixture, or just a motion detector floodlight fixture
which would likely be as cheap or cheaper than the switch unit.. The good
ones have light sensor adjustments as well as choices of time-on.

JerryMouse January 22nd 05 05:49 AM

Den wrote:
Group:

I've got a light fitting in a shaded area. I need to fit one of
these screw-in photo-cell adaptors to it. Does anyone have any
recommendations about models to look at / avoid. In particular I
need to be able to adjust the sensitivity of the unit as (as I've
said) the light fitting is in a shaded area.

You can buy just the photocell. Install it in series with the light circuit
and mount it where the sensor gets full sun.

In my case, a garage, the outside light was activated by a switch inside the
garage. It was a simple matter to mount the sensor on the other side of the
wall (outside) from the switch. All the wiring was right there.

Wayne Boatwright January 22nd 05 06:12 AM

On Fri 21 Jan 2005 05:36:06p, Roger called across the abyss...

I've got a light fitting in a shaded area. I need to fit one of these
screw-in photo-cell adaptors to it. Does anyone have any
recommendations about models to look at / avoid. In particular I need
to be able to adjust the sensitivity of the unit.

It's a waste of electricity to use a light sensing switch in the socket,
as it leaves the light on all night. Why not get a motion detector
switch, and connect it to the fixture, or just a motion detector
floodlight fixture which would likely be as cheap or cheaper than the
switch unit.. The good ones have light sensor adjustments as well as
choices of time-on.

Depends on the adapter. The one I bought can be adjusted to burn from 1-6
hours or all night after initially turning on.

Wayne