DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dirty toilet tank (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/86722-dirty-toilet-tank.html)

JTuran001 January 16th 05 11:12 PM

Dirty toilet tank

Any suggestions on how to remove a slimy, rust-colored film covering the tank
and components inside without harming the mechanisms?

Thanks

JT

Speedy Jim January 17th 05 12:19 AM

JTuran001 wrote:

Any suggestions on how to remove a slimy, rust-colored film covering the tank
and components inside without harming the mechanisms?

Thanks

JT

If the water supply is from a well, iron bacteria produce this slime.
Add a little bleach to the tank water and scrub the tank inside with
a sponge soaked in bleach.

You can use chlorine bowl cleaning tablets in the tank, but you
may experience rapid deterioration of the rubber flapper unless
you put in the newer (red) chemical-resistant ones.

Jim

Oh_Jeeze January 17th 05 04:46 AM

I replace a toilet last week because the toilet was stained beyond
repair. I tried bleaching it and I even used some product that claimed
to be able to help but did not. What a surprise! As luck will have
it, home depot had a sale on a toilet for $59. Prices vary widely,
however not being a toilet connoisseur; I really could not appreciate
the differences between the $59 toilet and the $900 counterpart.
Nevertheless, the new toilet leaves a better impression than the
permanently **** stained toilet I had before. It took me a Sunday
afternoon to install the new unit.

Stormin Mormon January 17th 05 07:41 PM

I usually scrub mine out with the toilet brush, and then flush. Works
nicely.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Matt Howell January 18th 05 01:48 PM

In article ,
says...

Any suggestions on how to remove a slimy, rust-colored film covering the tank
and components inside without harming the mechanisms?

Thanks

JT

Put some Iron Out in the tank, let it sit overnight, flush.