Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Charlie Bress

Default A different microwave question

This is a Panasonic microwave that is about 10 years old.
It works just fine.
The problem is that it has become fussy to open
In the picture at the link you can see the inside portion of the gray
opening button. It has a small projection that lifts the part of the latch
mechanism that is white. The latch works ok. The part of the gray
plastic does not seem to lift the white latch part high enough to release
the latch.

If I just reach in and raise the latch mechanism by hand from the right
place, the door unlatches ok I have tried putting a small piece of Lucite on
top of the gray actuator, to increase the throw, but that is not
particularly successful. It almost seems as if there is a bind .in the whole
thing. At its age I am pretty sure that part replacement is a lost cause.

All this is done with the unit unplugged and I am staying well away from
voltage carrying areas.

Except for the latch release the unit works as it should. All the safety
switches are in place and operating.

I am looking for informed opinion on how to proceed.
Please do not tell me it is dangerous. I know and have worked around high
voltage environments before.
Don't tell me to buy a new one. I can figure that out by myself.

Answers to the Newsgroup only. We can all learn from each other.

http://cbress.home.comcast.net/mwave.jpg

Many thanks

Charlie

Yet another tub caulking question (sorry!) -this time about color MAG Home Repair 1 August 2nd 04 02:52 AM
new foundation question oreo123 Home Repair 11 July 20th 04 10:41 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Repair 6 March 26th 04 01:23 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM