DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ballpark cost on driveway? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/86048-ballpark-cost-driveway.html)

Jim Beaver January 11th 05 07:27 AM

Ballpark cost on driveway?

What should I expect to pay for a driveway in Southern California -- a
standard, no-frills concrete slab, maybe 35 feet long and 20 wide, with a
2.5 or 3' rise from to top level? Including demo of the old one?

Jim Beaver

Ross Mac January 11th 05 08:18 AM

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
m...
What should I expect to pay for a driveway in Southern California -- a
standard, no-frills concrete slab, maybe 35 feet long and 20 wide, with a
2.5 or 3' rise from to top level? Including demo of the old one?

Jim Beaver

I had a 650 square foot slab poored for a garage that was $2300 about 8
years ago in Central, CA.....good luck, Ross

[email protected] January 11th 05 01:34 PM

Based on the online estimators I was using last year the figures I got
were $3500-$4000. However, getting any contractor to show up for a job
that small might be difficult...

Ross Mac January 11th 05 02:42 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
Based on the online estimators I was using last year the figures I got
were $3500-$4000. However, getting any contractor to show up for a job
that small might be difficult...

That price seems close since you have a demo/haul and things have gone up
since I did mine in '97..

[email protected] January 11th 05 06:46 PM

"Wait for your omnipresent winter rains to wash away the existing
driveway, and the demo is done at no charge...."

If I had a driveway that small to demo, I'd at least try to do it
myself. Should be easy enough to do if it's already old and cracked
all you would need is a sledgehammer and some free time. Like work on
it an hour a day until it's done (a month later). Cheaper than hiring
a contractor that will charge you $100/head/hr to bring on some illegal
aliens...

Frank J Warner January 11th 05 07:23 PM

In article . com,
wrote:

Based on the online estimators I was using last year the figures I got
were $3500-$4000. However, getting any contractor to show up for a job
that small might be difficult...

In my area (Santa Barbara CA) there are several concrete contractors
who specialize in driveways, sidewalks, landscape paving, etc. They
won't take any other type of job (additions, structural slabs, etc.)

-Frank

--
fwarner1-at-franksknives-dot-com
Here's some of my work:

Mark and Kim Smith January 11th 05 09:52 PM

http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond.htm As the first page will show, a
sledge and a digger bar will do wonders for you. I think that patio
took me a week, a few hours every morning.

Mark and Kim Smith January 11th 05 09:56 PM

Doh! And goggles ( or safety glasses.) Chips will fly!

Sexytom976 January 11th 05 09:56 PM

Geez I would want to have some fun, order a 10 yard dumpster and
rent yourself a bobcat. Takes an hour or two and you'll have a blast!
Tom

Matt January 11th 05 10:36 PM

Why on earth would you want to build a ballpark on your driveway?

After the stands are put in, I don't think there would even nearly
enough room for the diamond!

Not to mention that most people who play baseball would never play on
concrete!

Also I don't think your neighbors will be to happy to see you building
a ballpark so close to their house, unless maybe you can enclose it to
help keep the noise down.

But where are you going to put the parking lot?

I dunno man..... I gotta say that putting a ballpark on your driveway
is just a bad idea. I don't think even the Royals would play there,
even if you offered them a ZILLION dollars!

effi January 11th 05 11:28 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
"Wait for your omnipresent winter rains to wash away the existing
driveway, and the demo is done at no charge...."

If I had a driveway that small to demo, I'd at least try to do it
myself. Should be easy enough to do if it's already old and cracked
all you would need is a sledgehammer and some free time. Like work on
it an hour a day until it's done (a month later). Cheaper than hiring
a contractor that will charge you $100/head/hr to bring on some illegal
aliens...

sledge hammer is rather archaic

rent an electric jack hammer for $60/day, 3 people physically equipped to
use it can tear up the old driveway in a day or 2 with it

or pay someone $1.50 per sq ft to tear out the old driveway and remove the
debris from the property, then pay someone else $3.50 per sq ft to form &
pour the new driveway (prices in texas $, cost may vary in cali)