DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   wiring baseboard heater (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/85366-wiring-baseboard-heater.html)

Martik January 8th 05 11:16 PM

wiring baseboard heater

|-----------------------------------------------------------sp
stat------| heater 2
B-----------| sp stat ------| heater 1
R------------------------------------||-----------------------------------------------------|
E------------grd-------------------||------------------------------------------------------|
R ----- 30amp double

Can I wire 220v bb heaters like this? I know one wire will always be hot
with the sp stat but I can shut off the breaker if I need to service
anything. I want to control each heater separately.
With only one hot wire always on the heater will not function - correct?

HaHaHa January 9th 05 11:08 AM

From: "Martik"

|-----------------------------------------------------------sp
stat------| heater 2
B-----------| sp stat ------| heater 1

R------------------------------------||----------------------------------

-------------------|

E------------grd-------------------||------------------------------------

------------------|
R ----- 30amp double

Can I wire 220v bb heaters like this? I know one wire will always be hot
with the sp stat but I can shut off the breaker if I need to service
anything. I want to control each heater separately.
With only one hot wire always on the heater will not function - correct?

On the one hand - If you have an electric BB heater with a built-in t-stat, it
will be single pole and one side of the heater will always be hot unless the
double-pole breaker is off.

On the other hand, if you wire in a remote wall-mounted T-stat the code
dictates it be 220v and disconnect both conductors when in the "off" position.
Still, while in normal operation one leg will always be "hot" with the other
leg controlled thermostatically. Only dialing to the "off" position disconnects
both legs from the heater.