DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   preventing sewer gas once toilet wax seal removed (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/85203-preventing-sewer-gas-once-toilet-wax-seal-removed.html)

Rald January 8th 05 04:18 AM

preventing sewer gas once toilet wax seal removed

I need to remove the toilet and wax seal over the waste line in a
basement bathroom for several months. Should a permanent cap be
installed or do they sell temporary seals for this sort of thing.
Thanks for any info.

Tony Hwang January 8th 05 05:02 AM

Rald wrote:
I need to remove the toilet and wax seal over the waste line in a
basement bathroom for several months. Should a permanent cap be
installed or do they sell temporary seals for this sort of thing.
Thanks for any info.

Hi,
P trap is there with water in it, right?
Tony

Reed January 8th 05 05:19 AM

Rald wrote:

I need to remove the toilet and wax seal over the waste line in a
basement bathroom for several months. Should a permanent cap be
installed or do they sell temporary seals for this sort of thing.
Thanks for any info.

Temp seals are available. Search for "test plug" on Home Depots
web site. Less than $4.00

Bubba January 8th 05 01:32 PM

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 02:15:20 -0600, wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 05:02:00 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Rald wrote:
I need to remove the toilet and wax seal over the waste line in a
basement bathroom for several months. Should a permanent cap be
installed or do they sell temporary seals for this sort of thing.
Thanks for any info.

Hi,
P trap is there with water in it, right?
Tony

Toilets dont have P-traps.

Slight correction:
The toilet IS the "P-trap". :-)
Bubba

They do sell a rubber seal for 3" and 4" pipes. Just stick it in
there and turn the nut on top to tighten it. Under $10,
In a pinch, I have taken a plastic trash bag, pushed it into the hole
and stuffed it with balled up newspaper. However, for several months
I'd buy the plug. You could also put down a cheap wax ring, cut a
circle of plywood to fit the flange and tighten the bolts. The wax
rings are only $2, so it's not a big cost.

Jeff Wisnia January 8th 05 04:34 PM

Rald wrote:

I need to remove the toilet and wax seal over the waste line in a
basement bathroom for several months. Should a permanent cap be
installed or do they sell temporary seals for this sort of thing.
Thanks for any info.

When I had one toilet "off" for a few days last year I laid a mouse pad
on the flange and set a few bricks on top of it.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Sexytom976 January 9th 05 03:42 AM

Toilets dont have p-traps.

Tom January 9th 05 05:15 AM

"Sexytom976" wrote:Toilets dont have p-traps.

Correction, they do. Well, maybe not a "p"-type, per se. It's the hole in the
floor that doesn't. Just wad up a rag and jam it in the flange to minimize the
odor. Try not to let it fall in past retrieval's reach! Tom
Work at your leisure!

HorneTD January 9th 05 05:47 AM

Rald wrote:
I need to remove the toilet and wax seal over the waste line in a
basement bathroom for several months. Should a permanent cap be
installed or do they sell temporary seals for this sort of thing.
Thanks for any info.

There are plastic blank plates that can be held on with short versions
of toilet flange bolts. They have a rubber or neoprene gasket that
makes them gas tight. There are also expandable plugs that you can
place in the line and expand out against the wall of the pipe by
tightening a wing nut. The plastic plate flange is the better of the
two solutions because it will keep all foreign matter out of the sewer
line.
--
Tom H

Ron January 9th 05 04:11 PM

I've saw a rat come up through an uncovered line located at ground level, so
I strongly recommend using a plate or expandable plug if you intend on
leaving the waste line unused for several months.

Ron

"HorneTD" wrote in message
nk.net...