Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Matt

Default Stupid cedar roof question

At some point in the next few years, I'm going to have to replace my
roof.

Homeowners assoc is VERY strict about what can be used.... some of the
newer types of "fake" wood shingles are allowed, but I don't like their
appearance. But for the most part, they only allow cedar shingles.

Anyway, I was just wondering why no one ever seals their shingles with
something similar to what is used on decks.

Is it due to an increased fire hazard (over and above what is pretty
much already a fire just waiting to happen)? Too much added weight?
Screws up the water flow?

I guess what I'm getting at is I love the look of a newly installed
cedar roof, but that look only lasts a couple years before it's faded
to gray..... just wondering if anyone has any info on how to maintain
that "new" look for as long as possible.

Thanks
Matt