Junior Member

Default Fuse repeated Blowing on Potterton clock/programmer

Hello All,

I'm a bit of a diy n00b, but I can at least change a fuse. So I felt a bit foolish paying a central heating engineer £65 to get my heating re-started when the problem turned out to by a dead 3amp fuse in the mains socket that the boiler programmer (Potterton EP2001) was connected too.

However since he first visited in late December I have since woken up on three separate mornings to find the house cold, and fuse blown again.

Can anyone advise as to what is likely to be the cause of the fuses blowing?

Ross Mac

"jumblemo" wrote in message

Hello All,

I'm a bit of a diy n00b, but I can at least change a fuse. So I felt a
bit foolish paying a central heating engineer £65 to get my heating
re-started when the problem turned out to by a dead 3amp fuse in the
mains socket that the boiler programmer (Potterton EP2001) was
connected too.

However since he first visited in late December I have since woken up
on three separate mornings to find the house cold, and fuse blown
again.

Can anyone advise as to what is likely to be the cause of the fuses
blowing?

jumblemo

You might check all the connections and make sure they are all tight and
clean. Including the fuse socket itself. If that isn't it I would put an amp
clamp on the line to see what the draw is. It should be below 3 amps if it
is over, you have overloaded the circuit.....good luck and hope that
helps....Ross

Stormin Mormon

Fuses generally blow account of excess current draw through the fuse. Some
may blow from excess temperatures. They do use a low melting point alloy,
after all.

--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank

"jumblemo" wrote in message

Hello All,

I'm a bit of a diy n00b, but I can at least change a fuse. So I felt a
bit foolish paying a central heating engineer £65 to get my heating
re-started when the problem turned out to by a dead 3amp fuse in the
mains socket that the boiler programmer (Potterton EP2001) was
connected too.

However since he first visited in late December I have since woken up
on three separate mornings to find the house cold, and fuse blown
again.

Can anyone advise as to what is likely to be the cause of the fuses
blowing?

jumblemo

Speedy Jim

jumblemo wrote:
Hello All,

I'm a bit of a diy n00b, but I can at least change a fuse. So I felt a
bit foolish paying a central heating engineer £65 to get my heating
re-started when the problem turned out to by a dead 3amp fuse in the
mains socket that the boiler programmer (Potterton EP2001) was
connected too.

However since he first visited in late December I have since woken up
on three separate mornings to find the house cold, and fuse blown
again.

Can anyone advise as to what is likely to be the cause of the fuses
blowing?

You can likely get more specific answers to your setup by
posting to:

UK.D-I-Y

Jim
SQLit

"jumblemo" wrote in message

Hello All,

I'm a bit of a diy n00b, but I can at least change a fuse. So I felt a
bit foolish paying a central heating engineer £65 to get my heating
re-started when the problem turned out to by a dead 3amp fuse in the
mains socket that the boiler programmer (Potterton EP2001) was
connected too.

However since he first visited in late December I have since woken up
on three separate mornings to find the house cold, and fuse blown
again.

Can anyone advise as to what is likely to be the cause of the fuses
blowing?

jumblemo

Fuses open/blow for a reason. Installing a bigger one is one of the better
ways I know of to either cause damage or start a fire.
Other posters suggested checking connections, I will almost bet that is not
the problem. But it never hurts to go through the connections. Time to hire
some one that can find the problem or keep a lot of fuses around until you
decide to get it fixed.

Stormin Mormon

Reminds me of the newsgroup post so many years ago. The customer had a
system that would blow a 5 amp fuse once a week. He put in a 30 amp fuse,
figuring that since 30 is six times larger than five, it would last six
times longer.

Anyhow, the fuse did not blow for the next six weeks, but several other
parts of the system did.
--

newscYCd.78241$QR1.2582@fed1read04...