DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Programmable Thermostat wiring question -rth7500 (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/83950-programmable-thermostat-wiring-question-rth7500.html)

[email protected] January 1st 05 04:51 PM

Programmable Thermostat wiring question -rth7500

Happy New Year!

I'd like to ask for help with my Honewell RTH7500 thermostat.

I am replacing a White-Rogers 1F35-910 thermostat in my house. The
RTH7500 was suggested by Honeywell support. I have a gas boiler system
for heat.

The wiring on the white-rogers is to terminals R5, Y6 and 4. None of
the literature that I could find on the RTH7500 has these
terminals...they're either R, rc, rh, or y and y1...but no R5 and Y6.
I cannot find an association for the "4" either.

The informational page on the white-rogers can be found he
http://www.whiterogers.com/pdfs/cata...t_page_012.pdf

I tried searching the Honeywell site, but the online wiring assistance
doesn't include the newer models and when I called, their tech support
for homeowners is only available M-F 8-5?!

Can someone describe the wiring correlation between the WR model and
the rth7500?

Thank you,
Dave

Travis Jordan January 1st 05 06:44 PM

wrote:
Happy New Year!

I'd like to ask for help with my Honeywell RTH7500 thermostat.

I am replacing a White-Rogers 1F35-910 thermostat in my house. The
RTH7500 was suggested by Honeywell support. I have a gas boiler
system for heat.

The wiring on the white-rogers is to terminals R5, Y6 and 4. None of
the literature that I could find on the RTH7500 has these
terminals...they're either R, rc, rh, or y and y1...but no R5 and Y6.
I cannot find an association for the "4" either.

HNY to you, too.

The 1F35-910 is an SPDT thermostat used for 3-wire Zone Valve Heat Only
applications.
http://www.white-rodgers.com/pdfs/in.../0037-1215.pdf
see page 1

The Honeywell stat should work fine.
http://hbctechlit.honeywell.com/tech...0s/69-1730.pdf
see page 18

4 = Call for Heat = W
5 = Hot side of transformer (power) = R
6 = Thermostat satisfied = Y

Don't forget to configure installer setting 0170 for the 3-wire zoned hot
water application.

Hope this helps.

[email protected] January 1st 05 07:39 PM

Travis Jordan wrote:
wrote:
[...]

May I ask why Page 18 of the honeywell manual show that RH, 4, or V =
R, versus what you show as 4=W?

Thanks,
Dave

Travis Jordan January 1st 05 07:57 PM

wrote:
May I ask why Page 18 of the honeywell manual show that RH, 4, or V =
R, versus what you show as 4=W?

I noticed that too, Dave. All I can conclude is that some thermostat
manufacturer out there must use the 4 terminal to designate the transformer
hot side. By looking at the WR schematic you'll see that on your thermostat
terminal 4 is used to actuate the heat valve (the W terminal).

Wire it up and let us know how it works.

[email protected] January 2nd 05 04:26 PM

=
R, versus what you show as 4=W?

I noticed that too, Dave. All I can conclude is that some thermostat
manufacturer out there must use the 4 terminal to designate the

transformer
hot side. By looking at the WR schematic you'll see that on your

thermostat
terminal 4 is used to actuate the heat valve (the W terminal).

Wire it up and let us know how it works.

Travis,
Thank you, sir. It appears to be working and the house is still
standing :-)

I do have a question...when a terminal is designated "Y6," is that
terminal "Y" or "6" or is it considered a specific "Y6" value? Just
curious.

Again, Thank You for your assistance!

Dave

Travis Jordan January 2nd 05 08:04 PM

wrote:
Travis,
Thank you, sir. It appears to be working and the house is still
standing :-)

I do have a question...when a terminal is designated "Y6," is that
terminal "Y" or "6" or is it considered a specific "Y6" value? Just
curious.

Glad to hear all is OK, Dave.

I can't see your thermostat from here, but on the WR instruction sheet the
terminals are just labeled 4, 5, and 6. So let's assume your WR thermostat
labels mean "Y" and "6".

The "Y" terminal is classically used to enable the compressor (cooling)
circuit. In the case of the Honeywell thermostat it is also the 'call for
heat satisfied' side of the SPDT relay, which is why it works in your
application.

Travis