DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Top-notch OSB vs. Plywood (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/83902-top-notch-osb-vs-plywood.html)

TN January 1st 05 12:25 AM

Top-notch OSB vs. Plywood

My builder wants to use Lousiana Pacific Top-notch OSB for the
subflooring in our new house. I haven't heard much about the product,
can anyone shed some light (pros/cons) to using it?
Thanks!

Shannon Pate January 1st 05 02:31 AM

Top Notch is a premium OSB subflooring. I have alternated between Advantec
and Top Notch for the past couple of years. Personally, I prefer the Top
Notch product. It is very heavy, dense, and stiff. It has drainage notches
in the tongue so water cannot stand on the floor during construction. And
it won't need to be sanded prior to the installation of finish flooring.

Oh, by the way, it costs a lot more than plywood...

Shannon Pate

calhoun January 5th 05 08:07 PM

"Jim Hunter" wrote in message
Is it common to sand the OSB before laying the finished floor?

If the osb has seen a lot of water during construction than it may swell. It
will then need to be sanded flat. Not common if the building is closed in a
timley fasion.

[email protected] January 6th 05 12:42 AM

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:07:13 GMT, "calhoun"
wrote:

"Jim Hunter" wrote in message
Is it common to sand the OSB before laying the finished floor?

If the osb has seen a lot of water during construction than it may swell. It
will then need to be sanded flat. Not common if the building is closed in a
timley fasion.

Not to contradict, but to add, plywood will too and often worse with
the layers seperating since sanding will not help. :(

"TN" wrote in message
My builder wants to use Lousiana Pacific Top-notch OSB for the
subflooring in our new house. I haven't heard much about the product,
can anyone shed some light (pros/cons) to using it?
Thanks!

later,

tom @ www.URLBee.com

John Willis January 8th 05 06:41 PM

On 08 Jan 2005 16:24:44 GMT, osspam (Joe Bobst)
scribbled this interesting note:

My builder wants to use Lousiana Pacific Top-notch OSB for the subflooring
in our new house. I haven't heard much about the product, can anyone shed some
light (pros/cons) to using it?

The people that build with it don't have to live with it. OSB is still resin
and wood scrap. For putting down a quality hardwood floor, IMHO nothing beats
plywood. Before plywood the old fashioned way was diagonally laid tongue and
groove boards, Haven't seen that anywhere for years except in old houses.
Sheathing was done that way , too, in the better structures. Durability is not
a very high priority these days...

Joe

Agreed.

--