Bonnie Jean

Default squirrels- not in attic yet

Good morning everyone

I have a few squirrels trying to build a nest in a nook on the outside of my
home, at attic level. So far they have been unsuccessful although they have
done a bit of damage to one of my American Holly trees. Their attempts have
blown down thus far, and it appears they have not gotten inside my attic. I
am sure that if they wanted to get inside the attic, the could. I noticed
this morning that there is a nest about 20 feet from the house in another
Holly tree.

So my question is, should I do anything, or really, could I do anything
about this?

In a related question, there is some damage to a soffit vent made by
squirrels a few years ago. Who would have the expertise to fix or replace
the vent? In other words, what would I look up in the Yellow pages, or local
paper, to find a person to fix it?

Thanks,
Bonnie

As far as the squirrels, there's not much one can do but keep an eye
out for damage to the house. I'm interested to know what damage you
think they have done to your tree.

A carpenter could probably fix the damage to your soffit vent.
Make sure you have recommendations and check them.
Before work starts, have a written description of the work and a price.
If the carpenter won't write down what's to be done, you write it and
have him sign it.

TB

If there's a easy way to temporarily put something in the area they are
trying to build
a nest in, I would do that. Something like chicken wire might work in
a nook. Also, if
you see them in that area, use the garden hose on them. This is like
warfare, you want
to stop the invasion whent they are trying to land on the beaches, not
when they are in
your house!

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:34:45 -0500, "Bonnie Jean"
wrote:

Good morning everyone

I have a few squirrels trying to build a nest in a nook on the outside of my
home, at attic level. So far they have been unsuccessful although they have
done a bit of damage to one of my American Holly trees. Their attempts have
blown down thus far, and it appears they have not gotten inside my attic. I
am sure that if they wanted to get inside the attic, the could. I noticed
this morning that there is a nest about 20 feet from the house in another
Holly tree.

IMHO:

Having squirrels that close to your house, and not inside, is kinda
good for deterring other squirrels from moving in. Squirrels are
mildly territorial, and might chase off any other nest-builders in the
immediate area.

So, don't mess with them.

So my question is, should I do anything, or really, could I do anything
about this?

In a related question, there is some damage to a soffit vent made by
squirrels a few years ago. Who would have the expertise to fix or replace
the vent? In other words, what would I look up in the Yellow pages, or local
paper, to find a person to fix it?

Thanks,
Bonnie

later,

tom @ www.ChopURL.com

Joseph Meehan

Bonnie Jean wrote:
Good morning everyone

I have a few squirrels trying to build a nest in a nook on the
outside of my home, at attic level. So far they have been
unsuccessful although they have done a bit of damage to one of my
American Holly trees. Their attempts have blown down thus far, and it
appears they have not gotten inside my attic. I am sure that if they
wanted to get inside the attic, the could. I noticed this morning
that there is a nest about 20 feet from the house in another Holly
tree.

If they have a nest 20 foot away, that is good, for now. It means they
have a nest. The bigger problem is what may happen in the spring when they
are looking for a place for the little ones. You attic may look better to
them then.

I don't know what you can do until they start trying to get in the
attic. One suggestion is to make sure there are no trees or limbs close
enough to your house that they can jump to the roof.

So my question is, should I do anything, or really, could I do
anything about this?

In a related question, there is some damage to a soffit vent made by
squirrels a few years ago. Who would have the expertise to fix or
replace the vent? In other words, what would I look up in the Yellow
pages, or local paper, to find a person to fix it?

Just about anyone with a ladder can handle the fix, but you want one who
has paid up worker's comp insurance. A roofing company that is not doing
too much right now and might offer you a good price especially if you tell
them they can come anytime in the next few months so they can just do it
when they are in the area. I find it is a good idea to find them working on
a job close by and I often get a job like that done cheap. The last one was
done for a couple cans of cold pop.

Thanks,
Bonnie

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

f/256

"Bonnie Jean" wrote in message
Good morning everyone

I have a few squirrels trying to build a nest in a nook on the outside of

my
home, at attic level. So far they have been unsuccessful although they

have
done a bit of damage to one of my American Holly trees. Their attempts

have
blown down thus far, and it appears they have not gotten inside my attic.

am sure that if they wanted to get inside the attic, the could. I noticed
this morning that there is a nest about 20 feet from the house in another
Holly tree.

So my question is, should I do anything,

http://www.jerrysbaitandtackle.com/R...uirrel/Pie.htm

:-)

Norminn

Bonnie Jean wrote:
[...]

Soffit vents can be a very easy job for homeowners, depending on how
high up you can/want to go and how accessible it is. Go down to a box
store and shop around to familiarize yourself with materials and find a
good, general DIY repair book. Even with someone else doing the work,
you should be familiar with materials and methods.

As far as damage to a tree goes, what have they done? If they are
chewing bark, there is little you can do. A limb that can be damaged by
a squirrel is not likely to be important to the tree.

Look, also, for small openings around eaves, roof, gables, etc, and
consider closing them up securely with hardware cloth.

Soffit vents are most commonly strips of aluminum or plastic nailed
under the overhand - easy to pull off and replace.

Eric Tonks

Squirrels are not that smart to recognize that an open attic is on the other
side of solid material. However, they are smart enough to recognize a small
opening that they can chew larger to gain access to a possible nest hole. If
there is a large space on the other side that they gain access to it is a
squirrel bonus.

The problem now that they know what is on the other side, they will make
repeated attempts to gain access, even after you have sealed it up. So the
real trick/problem is to not let them learn about your attic and soffit
spaces. Don't let them find a way that invites them in and they will stay
outside. Once they are in, they will want to be in, don't give them a
chance.

"Norminn" wrote in message

Bonnie Jean wrote:
[...]

Joseph Meehan

Marina wrote:
What kind of squirrels are they? We have a lot of gray squirrels in
my yard. They make their nests in the trees and never try to get in
the house.

Tell that to the gray squirrels around, and on occasion in, my home.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Bonnie Jean

"Norminn" wrote in message

Soffit vents are most commonly strips of aluminum or plastic nailed
under the overhand - easy to pull off and replace.
______________________

OK, I think I know someone who can do this work.

And to answer a question posed to me, there is an abundance of holly twigs
ranging from 4" to a foot, complete with attached leaves, on the ground
below this little nook. That's how I know they are using the tree for
materials. The damage is minor but if they were considerate, they'd use dead
twigs. :-)

The nook appears to be vulnerable to wind, as a couple nesting attempts have
blown down...or maybe just knocked down by these fluffy varmints. It's not
possible for me to get up in that area to put up hardware cloth.

I appreciate all the advice.

Camilo

wrote:

[...]

I'll have to disagree. If you search on my name, you'll find my post on the
subject in another recent thread on squirrels. I've just had so much
trouble with squirrels (red) over the years, I've come to view them as the
same as mice and rats. I don't say this flippantly - but in my experience,
at my houses, they end up being destructive pests. So I treat them the same
as I would unwanted mice and rats - I simply erradicate them as easily as I
can (I shoot them - air gun or whatever). Again, I don't mean to be flip or
bloodthirsty, but in my experience, if they're around, they will eventually
cause destruction and problems and they just have to be taken care of.

Cam

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:13:31 -0900, "Camilo"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

You were scared by a stuff animal as a child?

:-P

Seriously, not experienced with red squirrels, but the grey here are
comical. We have a pair in a tree less than 20 feet in our front
yard. If a 'stray' squirel comes around, he's run out of dodge by
them.

They help keep my attic free of squirrels.

later,

tom @ www.ChopURL.com

Lar

wrote:

Good morning everyone

I have a few squirrels trying to build a nest in a nook on the outside of my
home, at attic level. So far they have been unsuccessful although they have
done a bit of damage to one of my American Holly trees. Their attempts have
blown down thus far, and it appears they have not gotten inside my attic. I
am sure that if they wanted to get inside the attic, the could. I noticed
this morning that there is a nest about 20 feet from the house in another
Holly tree.

There are bird and squirrel repellants thay you should be able to find
at the home depot type stores that you can apply where they are
hanging out. It will be applied with a caulk gun, but it can get
messy when the temperature gets hot outside so it needs to placed
where if it runs it won't be a mess.

So my question is, should I do anything, or really, could I do anything
about this?

In a related question, there is some damage to a soffit vent made by
squirrels a few years ago. Who would have the expertise to fix or replace
the vent? In other words, what would I look up in the Yellow pages, or local
paper, to find a person to fix it?

Any handy man or many pest control control companies that do "rodent
control" should be able to handle it.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv